1990 Cherokee Rear Axle Leak at Rubber Plug ??

1990 Cherokee 4.0L 4 x 4

Noticed some leaking on the Rear Axle Center Unit at the Rubber Plug. Is this an easy fix ? What is this 1.5" dia. Rubber Plug for ? Can it be popped off and replaced or ... ??

Thanks for the help !!

Reply to
RamAir68

That's where the fluid is installed and checked. You've never opened it?

Yes, both... it will leak anyway. A new plug may slow it down. __ Steve .

Reply to
Steve Cowell

FYI, the rear diff cover on my '96 Cherokee Sport was leaking at the seam. When I pulled it off to reseal it I found that some idiot had run the cover bolts down so tight with an impact wrench it had distorted the cover badly. The replacement cover I got from the dealer had a proper threaded fill plug, rather than the rubber plug. Might just want to get anew one and be done with it.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

My 88 came with a steel plug when I still had the 35. Rubber plug, jees what a dumb idea. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Bean counters at car comapnies never fail to amaze me, that probably saved a $.05 per car.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

The FSM says the Model 35 takes 3 pints... This will leave the level approx

1/2 inch below the bottom of the hole. Mine operates this way with no leaks. I believe the hole is higher in the cover with the rubber plug vs the cover with a pipe plug.

Joe, 90 XJ

Reply to
Joe M

Well, that makes sense. My 91 XJ with the rubber plug does not leak. And as far as I know it is the original 12 year old plug. Last time I did a drain/refill was about three years ago, and I filled to 1/2" below the hole, more or less.

I would imagine that it would probably leak if the fill was up to the or over the hole level.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW