1997 Wrangler Automatic Transmission Slipping

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of what would be causing the automatic transmission on a 97 Wrangler to slip sometimes. When I am starting from a stop at a light or in a parking lot the transmission sometimes takes a couple seconds to slip into gear, even though the stick in the drive position. The mechanic I took it to said that they couldn't diagnose it without pulling it entirely apart, for which they were going to charge at least $3000, but they are not my usual mechanic so I'm not sure that I should believe that assesment. Thanks much.

Reply to
tuhughes

make sure the correct amount of fluid is in the tranny.. level ground in nuetral not park while running check it... if it is a "hair low" it will slip some check that 1st

Reply to
Jeeper

Reply to
tuhughes