1998 Jeep Wrangler wiper problems

The wipers on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler stopped working altogether. They then began working only after the vehicle had warmed up for a few minutes but only if you put the wipers on high. Then they would work on all three speeds. I replaced the wiper motor, and everything worked fine for about 5 minutes then the wipers stopped completely and now they don't work at all. I've checked the fuse which is good, all the wiring on the new motor, all the connections, I even pulled the switch inside apart, to no avail. If anyone can shed any light on this problem and offer a possible solution I would be greatly appreciative. You can post a reply here or email any suggestions to snipped-for-privacy@berkshire.rr.com Thanks in advance, I hope to get this resolved quickly.

Reply to
sconnors

The battery has built up reserve then... sounds voltage related.

After breaking them loose, I'm guessing. =20

When you had the motor out, did you check the wiper shafts for binding? No problems? You're not using 5-blade wipers, are you?

Yes, don't we all...=20

Check for a voltage drop across a connection... you can put a voltmeter on the connector at the motor and watch the voltage when you turn it on... you should see close to the full battery voltage across it. My guess is you'll see much less... if so, then start checking connectors all the way back until you find the voltage drop. I'll bet it's on the ground side... good luck. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

at the very bottom of your fuse block is a spot in the middle for a wiper circuit breaker. Its not labeled at all, but your owners manual may show it. Its rated at 5.5a or something like that. If you replaced the fuse labeled RRwiper, thats for the rear wipers, not the windshield wipers. The fronts don't have a fuse, it's a circuit breaker, that will auto reset. Sounds like this is bad. It sort of looks like a can of spam or something. I just replaced mine with a 5 amp fuse........give it a shot......it's either weak, or a short in the system might be tripping it..... let me know what you find.....

snipped-for-privacy@berkshire.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com