1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Play in the steering

When driving my 1999 Jeep Cherokee it seems to have a little too much play in the steering wheel. It also seems to want to drift to one side or the other and does not seem to respond as easily as it should when trying to correct the steering. It does not pull to one side or another but instead seems to be on a rail so to speak. When trying to correct it it doesn't seem to respond right away. Any comments?

Reply to
Anthonyman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Anthonyman from was injured because:

| When driving my 1999 Jeep Cherokee it seems to have a little | too much play in the steering wheel. It also seems to want to | drift to one side or the other and does not seem to respond as | easily as it should when trying to correct the steering. It | does not pull to one side or another but instead seems to be | on a rail so to speak. When trying to correct it it doesn't | seem to respond right away. Any comments?

Could you please be more specific:

---------------------------------------------- Only on crowned roads?

At any speed?

Any vibrations?

Uneven tire tread wear?

Tires properly inflated?

Uneven load (do you weigh 300 pounds)?

Date of last alignment?

Any lift that altered steering geometry that you did not take steps to correct?

Reply to
Joseph P

It seems to happen mostly on bumpy roadsusually notice it more a slower speeds. No vibrations, Tires look good, Tires are a little low (27psi), Weight is not an issue, Been a while since last alignment.

Reply to
Anthonyman

Reply to
William Pughe