1999 Jeep Cherokee

eeesh... my 1999 Jeep Cherokee won't start

It used to turn over and start right up fine

I left it sitting for about 3 or 4 weeks

Now, all I it does is turn over but won't start up

Battery seems fine, there seems to be fuel in the fuel rail... I'm waiting on a friend to check spark... when I spray starting fluid in the air cleaner, the car ALMOST starts - she shudders likes she wants to start - but No Start

hmmm... any suggestions? could it be crankshaft sensor?

kinda weird - I've owned this car since new, always starts right up... after the 3 or so week rest of not running her, she won't start

Reply to
mcreda2000

mic canic

if you left the fuel tank mostly empty you probably have a nice load of water in there from condensation.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Yep - I checked for fault codes = none

i tested the odb device - unplugged the radiator sensor - the tester showed P0118 - temperature switch problem - so the ODB tester is accurate

darn - i better check the resistance in the spark plug cables, huh?

any other ideas?

Reply to
mcreda2000

And if the plug wires are at fault, most likely a continuity check wouldn't tell you that because the more likely failure mode of a plug wire is bad insulation allowing the high voltage to jump to a nearby ground (possibly via some carbon tracking thru a pinhole) rather than across the spark plug gap.

There is a widespread myth floating around that a continuity check of plug wires will tell you if they're good or not - it may or may not, depending on the problem (leaky insulation vs. bad conductor).

Bill Putney

Hello, Is it a computer chipped key ? It is possible that you need to re program the key. Anthony

Reply to
VINTAGE DEALS