2000 XJ Rear Axle Question

Info according to

Axle

1984 - 2000 DANA Model 30 Rear Axle 1997 - 2000 CHRYSLER 8.25" rg

Is this correct? Advantage/disadvantages of Chrysler 8.25? I'm looking at the XJ Ltd again.

Steve

95 YJ 98 ZJ
Reply to
Steve Landis

The best way to make sure is a visual identification

You probably have the Dana 30/35 combination

Reply to
Billy Ray

The 1997+ Chrysler 8.25 is much preferred over the Dana 35. It's ring gear is nearly 3/4" bigger, the axle tubes are 3" (vs 2.6" for the 35), and it has beefier 29 spline 1.21" diameter axle shafts. Note however that a pre-1997 Chrysler 8.25 will have 1.17" 27 spline shafts that are just as weak as those on the Dana 35.

Steve

Steve Landis wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I just got the build order from DC took about 15 minutes they even called me to ask if I owned the vehicle so they could change the owner info. Wasn't expecting that kind of service. Anyway here is what I found out...

DJKS - Dana 30/181MM Front Axle DMDS - 3.55 Axle Ratio DRAS - Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle

Also this... "Our records indicate your vehicle is involved in the factory recall campaign listed below. Please contact your local authorized DaimlerChrysler dealer to arrange for these repairs. The recall services are performed free of charge.

Recall Campaign #B06 Intake manifold debris shield"

Steve

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Steve Landis

Steve - Who did you contact for that information? Will they have it for my '91 XJ?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It's a good axle, comparable to the D44 but not quite as many gear or locker options. In my opinion, it's not worth while to upgrade a newer 8.25 to a D44 on strength issues but a strong argument can be made for an 8.8" or 9" Ford axle swap if you're getting into 33"s plus and lockers. Older 8.25" had small axle shafts... pre 95ish if I recall without looking it up. The 8.25" is virtually bullet proof for a daily driver and moderate 'wheeling.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Provide your Vin and ask for a build order. I got one for a 98 ZJ in 2003 and the 00 XJ today. Don't know how far back into the archives they go. My local dealer didn't know how to access the archives since 2000 was such a long time ago. Steve

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Steve Landis

Reply to