2001 XJ Radio Access?

I'm sure there is probably an easy answer to this, but not sure enough to just yank on the thing. I need to take out the radio from my 2001 Cherokee which is located in a center stack with the vents and heater/ AC controls. The mostly rectangular bezel around the front of the whole thing is loose enough but has no visible fasteners. Please tell me I don't have to move the console to get access to any screws.

Does that bezel (about 12-14 inches wide and 18-20 high) just pop out if pulled in the right place? Where's the right place?

Thanks!

Reply to
kokonutty

I guess your right, bezel just pops off. Remember to disconnect the battery's ground first keep the radio from, locking up where you need a code to get to work, and to keep the air bags from exploding:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If it's like my '99 model, yes - just pull on it and it pops right off. Then two screws to remove the radio. Much easier than on the pre '97 models.

Reply to
Clap Trap

Thanks to you and Clap. Four spring clips near top, just outboard of radio corners, came right off.

Now a radio question: Unit is an AM/FM/CD/Cassette; on the back there are four connectors - antenna, ground, input and output (gray and black). Next to the gray and black connectors is a white plug socket about 3/4" x 1/4" that has two prongs in it. Is this an aux in or aux out connector? Thanks...

Reply to
kokonutty

After some googling, it looks like the extra plug is either for steering wheel controls or a CD changer. If it is the changer, I should be able to use this for an iPod or Sirius input to avoid using FM mod, right?

Reply to
kokonutty

Reply to
Clap Trap

I didn't see anything other than the regular two plugs and the antenna:

You may have anaftermarket radio with auxiliary in puts. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

antenna:

may have an> aftermarket radio with auxiliary in puts.> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/

Nope. Factory RAZ, 4704383AH, to be precise. Pretty sure the extra plug is for a changer as I'd think the steering wheel controls would be part of the gray or black connectors - just trying to figure out if all I need is a plug.

Reply to
kokonutty

It looks like it's the steering wheel control connector.

Check here:

Or:

Scroll down and read the description and look at the pictures.

Reply to
XS11E