2002 Grand Cherokeewipers

During a recent ice storm my wipers were locked in the ice and could not free themselves. After I freed them with the scraper they won't park properly, that is they don't home at the end of a cycle. I have been told that I need either a new motor or a control module. My background with GM cars tells me that I have a bad ground to the motor but that doesn't seem to apply here. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is the correct fix. Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
mike8732y

That is the biggest killer of the control modules and intermittent modules.

For some strange reason, the modules aren't fused and when the wiper motor sits under load drawing 20+ amps, it lets the smoke out of them.

My CJ7's is like that and the $tealer want damn near $500.00 for a new intermittent module. Mine still park though. My module has smoked out diodes in it. A couple 50 cent parts....

The motor (mine is anyway) is like the GM one I believe with a unique ground for the brass ring to park the motor. You 'could' have burned a spot on the brass parking ring so the ground is open and they just stop when the switch is off. Some solder would fix that up....

I think opening up either the motor or the module is needed to find out which one when belly up unless there is some code they throw. (unlikely, but someone here might know)

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike, I just sent him the '02 WJ wiper electrical diagnosis info. Hopefully he will let us know what he finds.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
philthy

Is it an electronic switch or the brass ring to ground type?

Mike

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That is a cool sheet. The park is electronic so I would suspect that let the smoke out. At least it is easy to test.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Imho, it's a mechanical switch, of the type that only parts rebuilders seem able to find. :^( I have not had the pleasure of owning this model, but on other vehicles that I have owned, the fix is a rebuilt wiper motor. Up here in snow country people flip the blades into the wash position before leaving a vehicle for the night. If your vehicle manufacturer was short sighted enough not to include this feature, then three or four replacement wiper motors will convince almost anybody, even women, to remember to let the wipers park before shutting off the vehicle.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm sorting through the manual that Billy Ray sent butI may just order a motor from rockauto.com and hopre that will fix it. I may also pull the motor and have our electrician at work test it.

Reply to
mike8732y