ICE options

New car has various inputs for the ICE. USB, i-Pod etc.
Old car had a 6 CD jukebox, which was OK for me - this one doesn't.
Sadly, the ICE supplement is missing from the car docs, so working rather
blind.
My phone links in to it all via BlueTooth, but doesn't seem to show my music files on that.
What I'd like is some form of storage that can be controlled from the dash - same as my old CD player.
It's probably so obvious to our younger readers, but I'm an old fart. ;-) Don't have an i-anything.
--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

IMLE insert a USB memory stick with audio files[1], select USB source and the folders/files are displayed for you to select as you would with CDs. The "Fit" ones work well as they don't risk being snapped off or (worse) damaging the socket when using the controls eyes-free.
[1] MP3 invariably, other formats vary - but on your latest car I'd expect a lot
--
Robin

The USB socket is in the cubby hole under the central arm rest - so a 'fit' one was ideal being so small.
And the head unit displays CDs ripped to it in exactly the same way, so brilliant, thanks.
--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

phew ;)
--
Robin

You said it - it's all about streamed content these days, grandad.
--
Steve H

On 16/05/2018 19:31, Steve H wrote:

In a car?
I have my collection of music in an MP3 format on a SD card or USB stick. My car radios for the past decade have been able to play this format in much the same way as the OPs CD jukebox arrangement.
You can get free MP3 ripping programs for the PC which will convert a CD to a MP3 format.
I use a program call CDex BUT one massive message of warning with this program which works very well.
You have to use a version 1.75 or earlier, which is still available on various archive download sites. When the original developer gave up supporting the program it was taken over as method of distributing embedded spyware/shitware/viruses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDex
It's operation is fairly simple. Start the program, insert a CD into the computes' CD player, from the menu select an external source of CD data from a list which will populate all the CD title/artist and track information and press the button to rip the CD to MP3. You have the option of ripping the whole CD as one track (ideal for some classical or concept albums) or as individual tracks. There are some settings to configure first and I recommend that you select the lowest of compression rates (higher quality) as you can compress too much and end up with annoying distortion.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Yes. In the Boxster, I stream Deezer and bluetooth to the head unit.
My BMW has Deezer integrated into the in-car systems, complete with an unlimited data SIM.
--
Steve H

Won't the head unit take a CD or DVD? If so just transfer over a hundred MP3 files on a disc, no special formatting required although some work on the filenames or using CD-Text might make the track names visible on the head unit
Or do the same on a USB stick
Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

A usb memory stick will be able store hundreds of CD's worth of music on it, no point to having a CD now. Possibly the ICE has a slot for an SD card too? SD cards and usb sticks can be cheaply had in upto 32Gb.

Can you cite the model - I'm sure there's a copy out there somewhere.

Mine's like that - the infamous RSN-E unit Audi used to fit. Quite a few forum posts suggest that it can be adapted with a dongle etc.

Like others, use a USB stick if it doesn't have an SD card slot. Maybe one of those nano types if it's front-of-unit mounted - looks neater. I've got one for a laptop, works well, but it does get very hot.

I'm not that up on it all either, but I'd be surprised if there's was much an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't. Although whether the Android does it as well . . . ;-)
--
Cheers, Rob

With luck, especially if there is a reasonable display on the ICE, you can probably stick a load of audio files (MP3 etc) in folders on a USB stick, pop it in the socket, and select then using the controls.
I use a tiny SanDisk USB stick, not much larger than the plug part. A 32G one holds a lot of audio files.

Not all OEM bluetooth supports media from a phone, but have you tried playing audio on the phone when connected to see if the audio comes out?
My VW has USB/Ithing connectivity, and a SD you can put a card in with MP3s. The USB supports MP3s on a HDD or a memory stick. Sadly, whoever bought it new didn't think to spec bluetooth :-(

Site Timeline