2002 TJ Gearbox

Sorry about that, its definetly a NV3550 in my jeep :-)

Although my vehicle registration document lists it as a "Wrangler Sport Estate", I think someone may have stolen about 4 foot off of the back of my car if that is true.

Reply to
Nick

Will Pennzoil's or GM's Synchromesh tranny fluid replace the dealer specified "Manual Transmission Lubricant" for a 2004 TJ as well? I have the FSM, but that's as far as it specifies what the fluid is in that transmission.

Another quick question - there is no specified fluid change interval for the tranny - any idea what the interval should have been to keep it in good shape? I was guessing that a reasonable change interval would be around 32000 miles... But depending on what the fluid is, that could be off.

--dsm

Reply to
dsm

Reply to
FrankW

Here's Quaker State's info on their fluid:

and here's Pennzoil's:

As long as your manual states "Chrysler Part No. 4874464" for the '04 (I have an '03 and it lists this part number in the owner's manual), you should be OK.

I don't have the suggested maintenance schedules in front of me right now, but I thought that the "normal" schedule A was around 36000 miles. I may be thinking of my Cherokee, though...

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, the GM is the same stuff in a GM bottle. The Pennzoil is the only aftermarket stuff available as of now.

I'd probably change it with every other axle lube change.

Synchromesh

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The local dealer is charging over 10 dollars a quart for the Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant. Forty-six dollars and some change to do lub replacement.

Reply to
John Benito

My buddy used to work for New Process Gear in Syracuse, NY. Good company-they treated their employees well and insisted on doing most of their ops in the US. They made my '99 TJ transfer case (NP-231?), too.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I hate to "answer" my own posts, but I found this interesting:

My '98 Cherokee, with the AX15 transmission has a change interval of

36000 miles. I just went through both the service manual and the maintenance logbook for my '03 Wrangler with the New Venture transmission and I can't find _any_ fluid change interval mentioned.

Using schedule 'B' ("most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed for schedule B" -- according to the book), the only thing that seems to be required is a fluid level check at every 3000 mile interval.

Perhaps that's why Chrysler charges so much for their version of the synchromesh fluid. You're not supposed to change it. :(

I wonder what GM recommends for their vehicles which use a version of this transmission?

-John

Reply to
John Sevey