2004 JGC needs new "H-valve" ??

A few questions.....

Noticed the ac not pumping out cold air. Took it in, and they said the h-valve needed replacing. Just curious if this is a common issue with the grand cherokees?

Also, noticed after picking it up from the dealer, whenever the ac (or defrost) is on, I notice a slight clicking noise that coincides directly with engine speed. (put in Neutral, sit idle, slow click, give it a little gas and click picks up) As soon as I turn off the ac or the defrost, the click goes away. The part needed was not in stock, so it's on order, I'm hoping this will go away when they replace the defective part?? Anyone have a clue what's happening here?

Reply to
Grand Jeep

Grand Jeep did pass the time by typing:

My question is what is an "h-valve" or where does it go.

Both AC and defrost run the compressor. That click is the compressor kicking in. Your Jeeps computer also speeds up the engine a few hundred RPM every time the AC compressor starts. Perfecly normal.

My initial thought is someone's blowing smoke up your backside. But since it's an 04 and should be a warrantee issue, let them fix what ever they need to fix.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The only valve in a ac system I know of is a "Expansion Valve". It's right by the firewall on my 96 xj and both ac lines fo through it.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Expansion valve.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

thanks everyone, after some more research I found a few hits that explains the "h-valve" is in fact the expansion valve. (as some of you noted)

As for the clicking compressor, I know it's not normal, as it was an obvious noise I noticed when I went picked up my jeep, and it was not doing that before I dropped it off. I'm just trying to figure out what they may have removed and/or added to the ac system during the diagnostic process to cause the clicking. ?? anyone have any ideas? Maybe some part they checked was not re-assembled correctly?? I did notice the florescent dye in some spots, so I'm assuming they added the tracer liquid to try and locate any leaks, would that stuff cause any issues?

Reply to
Grand Jeep

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your A/C wasn't working before you dropped it off either.

Normal.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

mic canic did pass the time by typing:

Talked to a local mechanic about A/C. Seems 134a is good but only up to about 90deg outside temp then it falls flat on it's face compared to R12. The seat-o-my-pants feeling is this is correct as the ZJs AC will freeze my ass out when it's 80 outside but doesn't cool nearly as well at higher temps.

Guess that also depends on the compressor and coil sizes. Larger coil, higher transfer rate, more effective cooling.

He sees a lot of 134a systems come in for complaints when they are simply working as they should. Mr Kim's suggestion was "When it's above 80 always use recirc." IMHO, good advice.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III