2005 Wrangler

I'm wondering if anyone has checked out the six speed and the most recent version of our beloved TJ. I'm having trouble finding much out about them. Who's got one?

Reply to
Jeff

The 05 TJ is nice. I test drove two of them, and an '01. The '05 had a softer ride and a generally nicer interior. Of course, the '01 had the vinyl seats so it wasn't the best of the '01s. I don't have one, yet, but I like it and will be going back to the dealer soon.

FYI the shift pattern has 6 where R usually is on an American 5-speed and R is moved to the right so it is still in the rightmost back position. This puts 3 gears on the front row and 4 on the back row.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

SHIFT PATTERN If I was the engineer, I would make the pattern

1 3 5 2 4 6 R

OR

R 1 3 5 2 4 6

I can't tell by the description you gave, what the pattern is, but I think you said it is the first diagram.

The trans is the same as is used in the Crossfire, which makes me wonder if it will be strong enough. It is also used in the Libby, but that does not calm my nerves very much, I see the offroading of the Libby to be closer to that of the Crossfire than to the Wrangler. That is, I think the Wrangler is generally a more capable platform for the very rough offroad routes whereas the Libby not meant for the same kinds of extreme routes. I just have to wonder if the 6 spd is going to work out well in the long run. I like the features of the 6 spd, don't get me wrong. I just wonder if it is a giant step backwards to the light weight transmissions of the early YJ, and away from the mid-weight transmissions of the current TJ and the older CJ.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Larry Greenwood

This one.

When I said "usual American 5-speed" I meant

1 3 5 2 4 R

which is what my Escort, F-150 and BroncoII all had and what my brother's Subaru has as well as a former friend's Saab. I can't recall seeing any other 5-speed pattern in the US.

While in Europe I saw a few 5-speeds with this shift pattern:

R 1 3 5 2 4

I don't know why they do that.

Oh, ok.

I hope it will be!

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

I don't know. When did they start using coil springs?

It could also have to do with the shocks. The '01 had a box on the back seat with shocks and some other misc. parts in it (including the factory shift knob). It could be that the kid[1] who had it before liked the stiffer ride so he changed the shocks accordingly. He also had an aftermarket stereo and some live wires under the rear seat where he probably had speakers before trading it in.

-D

[1] A reasonable assumption based on the parking sticker for a local college on the windshield.
Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Some Audi and Volks are like this too....

R 1 3 5 2 4

Reply to
Patrick