2007 Unlimited Spotted

I saw one of the four door Wrangler models a couple weeks ago. The top was off and at first I thought it was a shrunk version of an H2 sport truck. It was a gun metal blue color.

What surprises me is how quickly and quietly Jeep has introduced the four door Wrangler on the showroom floor. You would have thought it would have been at the '06 auto show with a lot of hype about its upcoming debut. Instead DC kind of throws it out there without much launch hype. I guess that's a reflection of the shortened design cycles in Detroit these days with CAD/CAM. Heaven knows Jeep has done a gazillion concept vehicles based on the Wrangler so maybe they finally just spun the spoon and picked one.

IMO I think it's a good move albeit five or six years too late. The four door Dakar concept Wrangler should have gone to production immediately after it appeared at auto shows. The fact that it didn't and now there is a four door Wrangler five plus years later shows how poorly Jeep and Daimler Chrysler understand their market demographic.

Jeep missed a lot of additional sales in those intervening years. I can't tell you how many people have told me "I would have bought a Wrangler but it was so impractical with kids". Yep. I had four young ones when I bought mine and it was the most impractical decision I've ever made in my life. Somehow a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and ...gag... the Commander don't have the romance and adventure of a Wrangler. So they all bought a run of the mill SUV instead.

I like the added width of the '07. There have been many times I've wished for a few more inches to extend my left arm. There's only been one or two times I've been in an off-road situation where six more inches would have been an issue.

The added length makes an automatic transmission feasible although this capability came with the original Unlimited. I test drove an automatic when I bought my 98 TJ and without a 5th gear overdrive it was overly noisy and no doubt a gas hog. As much as I've hated shifting the manual in commuting traffic I've never once regretted not getting the automatic.

As for the four doors, my kids wish I had them. Now they are much bigger and getting in and out of the TJ is a pain for them not to mention the absence of leg room. They'd rather we take another vehicle most times. The four door I saw and pictures I've seen look like the second set of doors is particularly narrow. But I suppose any door is better than no door.

I've driven the H3 and even with the 3.5L was surprisingly impressed. They've upped the displacement to 3.7L for '07 - still not enough for a

4500lb vehicle at high elevation IMO, but an improvement nonetheless. The 33 inch tires and off-road package is nothing to complain about.

I no longer live in a location where off-roading is a primary recreational activity but it does snow thirty or more inches a year. I think of it as "the trouble comes to me now instead of me going looking for trouble". Given $35,000 for a new off-road capable vehicle it would be a difficult choice. My loyalty is to Jeep but the H3 is more appealing. The only negative is GM reliability. My 98TJ has been virtually trouble-free in 100,000 miles and I expect the next 100,000 will be about the same.

mc

98 TJ Sport
Reply to
michaelcjeep

I will say the four door with the full doors and no top is butt ugly....

??? You didn't see the fire department hosing down a pile of mud revealing the new Wrangler underneath? (Chicago PD I think.) In Detroit they had it drive through the front window at Cobo Hall. (I think that was the KJ, but not sure.) Point is there's been plenty of hype.

The huge sales of upscale SUV's happened since the Dakar concept, which after all was almost 10 years ago.

4-speed autos were intro'd in Wranglers in 2002. Unlimited autos are the same.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

What I think is wild is that the 4-door Wrangler is bigger in every way than my XJ. It's noticeable longer, wider, taller. Personally, I wouldn't want anything bigger than the XJ, except a truck for reasons of hauling stuff. The XJ is a decent size for a family hauler.

Brian

It is bigger than my Grand Cherokee. Something over 13 inches longer, 500 pounds heavier and has a worse base engine.

It does offer a little bit more ground clearance than my Grand in case you need that extra height... Hmmmmm was it 1/10 inch or 1/4 inch?........

Reply to
billy ray

In 2002 there was no 4-speed auto in the Wrangler. I think the 4-speed auto became available in the Wrangler '03 or '04. I had an '02, and it was definitely not available then.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

I stand corrected, it must have been '03, I remember it was the first year the Rubicon came out.

I am half right, the 03's came out in late '02 :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Sadly, some of old farts like stagnant. You know, stuff that just works forever. I still have a Western Electric dial phone on my kitchen wall, a calculator I bought in 1975, my old Teac tube stereo circa 1977, and my beloved TJ, that hopefully will be still be running when I'm ready to be buried in it. Some things *shouldn't* change just for the sake of change itself.

Change is good when it replaces something worse. There isn't anything wrong with the TJ model. The bugs are finally worked out, they're attractive and ultra-durable, and even have a comfortable ride. But, as sure as something is perfected and works perfectly, captains of industry figure it's time to scrap it for the sake of continued profitibility. That's fine for businesses, but the consumer winds up short.

American business models seem to revolve around short product lifespans these days, in order to keep sharholders happy. Consumers like me are tired of having to replace every damn thing we own every 5 years because something broke and can't be replaced/repaired, it just plain wore out because of cheap materials used or a crappy design, or an adjoining company who's service is required to make it work has decided to 'upgrade' and is forcing obscelesence upon perfectly good products for the sake of additional profits via sales of new doo-dads, increased prices for service, etc. The cellular phone industry is the king of this nonsense!

And of course, the automotive industry nickel-and-dimes you to death with 'The Monthlys' to snatch whatever's left of your wallet. Onstar for your new GM product for those who are too challenged to dial 911 or simply ask a passerby for help, satellite radio because AM or FM just isn't cool enough, and the ever-popular, pure-profit extended warranties.

Bleh. I'll take stagnation anyday. Products get sidelined purely for the sake of profits, not for the sake of introducing better products.

I'm glad you said this first! I didn't have a problem with her intended use (I have no clue what she's going to do with it, and that's never a concern -if she wants to be a mean-ass Mall Mommie, more power to her!), but with the fact that TJ's (and worse, 4.0 sixes) will now be considered obselete. How sad that such a wonderful product has been kicked to the curb to keep sales up.

Reply to
Outatime

It's 10 years old, pretty much the useful lifespan of any modern automotive product. And remember what was said in the past:

1987: "There isn't anything wrong with the CJ! Damn corporate captains of industry, always changing things that don't need changing!" 1997: "There isn't anything wrong with the YJ! Damn corporate captains of industry, always changing things that don't need changing!"

The bugs are finally worked out, they're

I would agree too many companies don't have an adequate long-term strategy. But first and foremost, a manufacturer exists to make money, not a product. If you can't compete, you don't make money. If you don't make money, you can't make anything.

Consumers like me are

Lots of consumers like having the latest and most up-to-date model of everything.

Like I said, If a product maker can't compete, they won't be making products. You've never run your own business, I gather.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Its a JK not a tk

Reply to
Jeeper

You sure it's not a J/K? ;)

tw

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

This is too easy. JK = JoKe :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

There is this old joke about my Alma Mater.... UC is right where it belongs, between the F and the ..... well you fill in the letter...

Reply to
billy ray

lol could be... I havnt driven one yet....

Reply to
Jeeper

I am part owner of a transportation company that opened its doors in

1931. However, this is a service-based company; we don't produce durable goods, so perhaps my perspective is biased.

A couple of our employees have actually bought new '06 Rubicons and have stored them for their kids (ages 9 and 11) as gifts when they graduate High School. They feel as I do: These ARE the good old days, and they like products and concepts that stand the test of time, and are willing to support this belief with cash on the barrelhead.

Also of interest, I have an Uncle who has recently finished restoring a '57 Willys and he too, has stored it for his nephew (age 8) as a gift when he turns 18. The boy has seen this beautiful V-8 powered grey beast and loves it, and he is eager for his inheritance.

As a friend said once, "Newer aint' better." I understand that carmakers must make money in order to offer products like this. I disagree however, that niche products like Jeep Wranglers must endure a redesign/freshing every X years to remain in production. I'd like to believe that the American public will go out of their way to support wonderful, iconic, American-built products like this and demand that changes never see the CAD screen, but this is not something that will happen in my lifetime.

Reply to
Outatime

Service is a lot different from manufacturing or retail.

That's great, but buying a vehicle to just put in storage for 7-9 years? Good luck on warranty issues. Instead of investing in a depreciating asset, they'd do better to put the money in a 529 account for the kids' college tuition and wait till they graduate to find an '06 Rubicon on the used market, it will be a LOT less expensive. But hey, it's their money.

My son will be getting my '00 TJ when he gets his license (he's 11) but he does not know that yet.

Sometimes, it ain't. Sometimes it is.

I understand that

Seems like D-C want Wranglers to become more than a niche product. More power to them. The more they sell, the better the aftermarket is and the longer they will be able to make them.

Part of the redesigning has to do with marketing of course, but part of it has to do with (a) staying competitive with the other products out there and (b) updating Federal safety requirements. The TJ woudn't pass uncoming side impact safety standards or new emissions requirements. Do you think an '86 CJ would pass modern standards?

I'd like to

The American public is a fickle beast. Manufacturers don't stay competitive, and they disappear.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, I love my TJ, coil springs included. However, I'd like it more if it had stuff my Land Rover Series 2A had in

1970.

a) I could put 1/2 a ton in the back. b) I could wash it out with a hose c) It came with a lockable metal cabinet somewhere (Land Rover Series 2A had them under the passenger seat) d) It had a power take off for a winch e) It had decent hubs, preferably fully floating f) A decent rear bumper or cross member g) Tow hooks. For pity's sake, it doesn't even come with decent tow hooks !

Some other things the Land Rover didn't have

h) a better front axle than the Dana 30 (yeah, I know the Rubicon has 44s, but they don't sell it here). i) A rollcage that would inspire a little more confidence

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wag> Change is good when it replaces something worse. There isn't anything

Reply to
Dave Milne

Wild is not the word I'd use... too damn big is more to the point.

I really wanted to like these things but so far I'm disappointed. Guess I'll keep driving my old XJ for another 300k.

Jeff DeWitt

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Yes, and they've now corrected the Liberty's ugly body style for 2008 to make it more like and XJ. Without the SFA though.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The only negative? You didn't look very hard. Crappy visibility, underpowered, bad ride, rear access, cheesy interior and controls... That it's a Tahoe with Hummer-wannabee metalwork is even less appealing. Ugh, no thanks

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I didn't consider the visibility to be overly poor. The 3.5L is underpowered. I believe I said that already. Contrary to your opinion, I thought the ride was very good compared to my TJ. Rear access at least accesses some space. With the rear seat in my TJ I have maybe nine inches of cargo space. The interior and controls are comparable to any other new vehicle on the market today. They are certainly better looking than the Commander. I like the slab sided exterior design. The H3 is not a Tahoe. It is based on the Colorado truck platform.

All said though, the TJ will have a home in my garage for many years yet.

mc

Reply to
michaelcjeep