'59 Willys with a surrey on top.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I imagine there is a big demand for those in San Francisco and probably in some areas of LA also...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And most any island in the Caribbean. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

thtop it!

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

In the Philippines they are called Jeepneys and they have jingle balls with real wild colors.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I just spotted a 51 Jeep with 2wd and an 89 Cherokee with 2wd and a 4 banger. Both pretty rare where it snows.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It would be understandable in the Caribbean...

Reply to
billy ray

These things are interesting in that they are basicly a DJ 3A & were built up to the mid 60s still with the L head motor, over 10 years after regular 3A production ceased in favour of the 3B F heads.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I was in the Philippines to visit my fiancée in January. The Jeepneys are a trip, no pun intended. Some of them are pretty ratty looking, but some of them are extensively customized inside and out. Very inexpensive way to get around the cities there. Our most expensive fare was 11 pesos, or $.22, and that was about a 5-7 mile ride. Each Jeepney has a designated route it must stay on during the time it is picking up fares. It is the most commonly used public transportation there. Pretty much like riding on a school bus with one long seat running down each side of the bus rather than the short seats.

Chris

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes they do. English is very prominently spoken there, and is also a required class to graduate high school. Some of the older people there don't speak English very well, but anyone under 30 years old, or so, speaks English very well. Even better than many people in this country, which is sad to say. Most of them will speak one of their native languages, with Tagalog and Cebuano being the two most prominent. Funny thing is, they like speaking English, but when I asked my fiancée why they still spoke the native tongue around us, it was because they felt their English wasn't very good. Go figure.

Chris

It's the same in Spain. I heard on a radio show over there, that Spanish don't speak English in front of foreigners, "porque tienen vergüenza".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Bill, I was talking about the Surreys, not the Jeepneys. The Surreys are definately Toledo built DJ3s.

AFAIK the Jeepneys are built using licensed dies & designs from Der Chrysler Werkins.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer