5W vs 10W oil

First, I already flushed the heater core by hooking it up to the city water tap, I think the main problem is I need to put a hotter thermostat in it...plus fix the airflow through the cab and maybe get a headliner and some carpet for it. As far as fixing the Jeep, I'm gonna need the 4wd sooner or later to get to work, so I've decided to retire the old truck and do the frame-off it so richly deserves. I've still got access to the resto shop I worked at and he'll let me work off any expenses I rack up(material cost, etc.) Now for the silicone. I'm thinking cleaning off with some of that aviation paint stripper, followed by laquer thinner or maybe some wax and grease remover(sold at auto paint suppliers). Your guy's right, silicone or even silicone fumes will fish eye the new finish like crazy.

Reply to
Old Crow

I may steal that Spiderwire trick next time. My wife uses the heaviest test for the stained glass wind chimes she makes, so I've got access to plenty. I could also use it on the office manager at the dealership if she gets in my hair again.

Reply to
Old Crow

My first truck was an old C-10 Chevy. A good carpet pad and carpet helps a lot. I also put glued plastic wind barriers behind the door pannels. Never did a headliner.

Once silicon has cured it's nearly impossible to remove without resorting to some real nasty industrial chemicals. Try this

Just make real sure to read the directions first! Ventalation is a MUST. Once that goes down the silicone will sort of dry up then you have to carefully scrape it off. Think Lowes and Home Depot carry that stuff.

Reply to
DougW

Hey, Crow, just a comment but are you sure the heater is turned _on_ in that '61 F100? My dad's had a valve under the hood that had to be turned on and off to enable or disable the heat.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, the truck got a brand new shutoff valve last spring when I did the

302/C6 conversion. I think I put a 160 t/stat in the motor at the time and I'm thinkin' that a 180 or a 195 would probably help a lot. Still, I'm pushing 60 and the Jeep is a lot more comfortable as a daily driver. I really need to paint the old truck and put a new floor in the bed. In fact, I'm considering pulling it all the way down to the frame and re-doing a couple of things I did when I swapped out the motor.
Reply to
Old Crow

Sounds like the tool I use (or rather used to use - too damned old for that stuff now) to peel out windshields when they started to glue them in. The one I had was actually a very thin cable so that it would also serve as a saw of sorts. Problem with that type of thing is that you have to be able to reach both side of the seam. Best "tool" I've found for gaskets like the valve cover is a really thin, flexible putty knife ground to put a hook on one corner. I've got one that's about 1.5 inches wide that I use for all sorts of things, including joint fitting on oak projects.

Hey Crow, have you tried sealing/rubber around the windows? Our old Ford had so many air leaks it sounded like a hog calling contest in the cab at 50 mph or better.

Reply to
Will Honea

I've used everything short of windshield urethane to try and seal the holes. Truck has a pretty good crack in the windshield, and I found a company that'll put a new windshield in for $280 including new rubber, so when the paint is done that's where I'm going. Just another in a long list of projects. Gotta have something to do when I retire.

Reply to
Old Crow

See if a local high end body/paint shop can help you. They have to contend with silicones in modern waxes, etc.

Reply to
Lon

You mean in all that "free time" you're gonna have? Allow me to disillusion you a tad. Seems like everybody and the dog see you as retired which means that you have all this time - for their projects. On top of that, it's FREE! Amazing how popular you get to be.

Ever wonder why us old pharts are regarded as curmudgeons? Just wait; the reason will become obvious....

Reply to
Will Honea

Spent 3 months on unemployment earlier this year and was busy nearly every day, so I have some idea of what you're talking about. I've got most of my friends trained about that, and the kids know to at least bring beer when they want their stuff worked on.

Reply to
Old Crow