Synthetic Oil - 5W or 10W?

Hello.

Dumb question. But I was curious--I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and the car's got 120,000 (Camry-1998 4 cyl.). I've noticed it's losing just a little oil, especially during the hot summer months.

Do you experts out there see any issues with switching to the 10W-30 during summer and 5W-30 during winter (Minnesota--need all the help we can get for cold starts :-)????

thanks.

Reply to
jl99

the

during

for

Use 10W-30 or 10W-40 full synthetic all year long if you have an older car that is loosing oil and see if that helps. You don't need to worry that much about the winter time temperatures since synthetics (unlike conventional oil) have excellent cold starting ability even in the higher viscosities. The only potential problem could be if you have a very weak battery.

You might also try a synthetic blend in 10W-30/40.

Reply to
Mark A

the

during

for

How hot are those summer months? If your engine has 120,000 miles. I'd be looking to increasing the viscosity at the high end ie 10-40.

In Australia where summer hits the 100F a lot, 20-50 is advised. The driver's book has a chart to guide you on this. Light grade oil in a worn engine will burn more.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Sorry for the bad links

I hope this will help all the forum members on synthetic oil life. But i would add my two cents Change synthetic oil every 8000 miles or six months which ever is earlier with a good oil filter. I do not recommend using one year or >10000 mile synthetic oils especialy for toyota engines. For the fact any toyota engine from 1988-1998 will burn some amount of oil. Every one claims they have the best synthetic oil, yes yes yes in the labs.

I drive a 1992 camry V6 with 5W-40 synthetic oil and 180000 miles, and no problems yet?

Stick to your 5W30 since you line in minesota, similar to our weather in canada. It is no worry if your toyota is consuming 1/4 qt for every 1500 miles.

But if you are lossing oil by a leak, fix it, changing to 10W30 or 40 will not fix the problem.

Warning: If you use 10W40 ? and the temp drops to 45 deg F, your car RPM will almost increase by 30% and may be dangerous for your engine. and as such for your state you may have temp above 50 deg F for 3 months anyway? so stick to 5W30.

Reply to
kdv