82 CJ7 stereo install?

I have recently acquired an '82 CJ7. Also recently received a new stereo. I understand the install is a MAJOR hassle.

Does anyone know what the max depth on the stereo is so it won't cut into the defrost air duct?

And for anyone in my area, is there a stereo install shop with LOADS of experience working on this type of vehicle? Anyone have personal experiences to share?

The stereo is above the A/C unit and in cramped quarters. Don't want my existing Jeep items compromised just for a bit of music.

Please e-me: JenPete(remove NOSPAMPLEASE)@aol.com

Reply to
JenPete

have you considered one of the tuffy boxes that go in between the driver and passenger seat. it has a cut out for a stereo in the front and a box section in the back. I have a 10 disk CD changer in the back that works out pretty nice. it also locks which is pretty nice. carmine

Reply to
Jet

The deal is that no, it will be hard to find a shop that has LOTS of time with thiis Jeep as they are at least 18 years old and they don't see 5 a day like they do the Hondas and such. I have been into stereo/stereo installs for a while and did my own. I thought long and hard about cutting into my 86 dash, and I can tell you honestly that if I had to do it again, I would. CD's are great. The trick is to make a clean, DIN sixed hole in the exact spot...there isn't much room for error as there is a speedo bplt on one side and the speaker on the other. I used a dremel toll (fiberglass wheel) a magnet to catch the metal, and went a tad smaller, then enlarged it to fit the cage (bracket around the head unit) tight. My AC helds hold up the radio and the defrost will be squished just a bit.....doesn't hurt a thing. The only real trick is the wires make a sharp turn to clear the duct. I spent several hours doing mine and it turned out great. Lots of measuring. I would not trust a shop to do what I did.

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7