82 AMC...need bellcrank bushings!

Hi all....

In desperate need of simple but hard to find parts.....

I have a 1982 AMC Spirit, 6 cylinder, manual trans, with ac....

and if it helps I think this is basically a jeep engine and frame with a different body dropped on the top of it....

Anyway, according to my factory manual.....there is an assembly called the "bellcrank"...

it is a rod that is supported on one end by the frame/body of the car and on the other end by the engine/trans.....

the rod is supported by spherical metal balls on each end of the rod....the spherical ends sit/rotate in plastic (nylon?) bushings that in turn are held in metal tubes/brackets.....

the spheres on the end of rod have a diameter of .62 inches.....the plastic bushing the spherical rod ends sit in are .75 inch outside diameter and .75 inches long....

so i need 2 of these....."inner idler bellcrank bushing and outer idler bellcrank bushing"......

for reference...the bellcrank assembly is what converts clutch pedal movement to the lever that sticks outa the transmissions that engages the clutch pressure plate release mechanism....

anybody have a good source for this kinda part or a good amc/jeep website/chatroom.....or how i can rig something at home that will work from locally obtainable parts, maybe even rigged from local hardware store parts?

or perhaps another name for these parts that will improve my internet searching?

thanks a million!

Bill

Reply to
BllFs6

Otherwise known as the "Z-bar", yes.

If you have a factory part number, you can add a "J" to the beginning of it and see if your local Jeep dealer can obtain it for you.

Alternatively, go to

and pick up some nylon or Rulon-J bushings that meet your specs. I'm looking at Rulon-J bushings here:

and I see their SBP-8/16, which has a length of 1.000", an O.D of 0.7510" and an I.D. of 0.5040" -- this could be reamed to 0.625" for your needs.

They also have FBP 8/16, same specs as above but with a 1.000" O.D. by

1/8" thick flange on one end.

Doesn't look like their nylon bushings are shown on the web catalogue.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I just purchased a bell crank for the 258 new at a local Jeep shop to install a 5.0 Mustang engine and Mustang T-5 in a CJ7, they were trying to use the Mustang cable setup that just didn't work in a Jeep so I modified a CJ bell crank and mechanical linkage to be a 'puller' instead of a 'pusher' and it works sweet.

The whole works, including the link rods was about $150.00 but they sell the individual parts separately.

The bell crank comes with the nylon bushings, the end pieces and boots are separate parts.

I am in Toronto Canada and all the 4x4 and Jeep shops carry the parts. Some will sell the pieces, some only want to sell the kit, so call around.

If you are desperate, I believe these shops sell over the internet, but our Canadian dollar, well.... makes them pricey if you are in the US.

Mike

BllFs6 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Rex B

My local ACE hardware store would have them. YMMV Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Hi guys...

thanks for the pointers and info

I ended up just making new bushings by doing alot of filing and soldering on some brass from the local hardware store...

It took all of saturday to do it. It was kinda tricky soldering one end of a 1 inch long bushing while keeping the already soldered part on the the other end from melting/falling apart AND not burning a rubber boot only 2 inches away in the other direction!

But it got done and looks pretty good if I say so myself :)

take care all

Bll

Reply to
BllFs6