87 XJ rear leaf springs

My DD is a 87 XJ 4.0 auto.

I have broken rear leaf springs on both sides. I have an 89 XJ for parts. Should I change the springs or the springs with the axle? The axles should have the same (or close) ratio so that is not an issue.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

Changing just the springs should be OK. Use new U-bolts.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thank you Matt

This might be the easy way. I had planned to swap axles and replace the bolts and bushings.

Merrill

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
merrill

Which one is in better shape? That means mileage on gears, leaks or seeps of oil at the pinion and at the axle ends, brakes and brake hardware, etc....

I am thinking on doing the same thing with my 88 and 87. The 88 has new springs and brakes, but more miles and no leaks.

You need to be sure the gears are the same too or you will not be able to use 4x4. You can check the gears by jacking up one rear wheel and marking the tire and driveshaft with chalk. You then turn the wheel two turns while counting the driveshaft revolutions. You can just do one turn of the wheel and double the driveshaft revolutions to get the ratio. If you jack up both wheels, then it's a one to one count, but with just one wheel turning it's a two to one.

Mike

Mike Romain

The 87 has about 300,000km and works well with no leaks. The 89 has about 200,000km and doesn't leak so I had thought I would probably use it. I'm not sure about the brake shoes or drums, but the 87 has good parts if I need them. Both are auto so I assumed the ratios would be similar. I had planned to check anyway for the few minutes it takes. I only use 4wd to get out of bad situations and not for highway cruising. Would that still be a problem if the ratios are not identical?

When I disconnect the driveshaft, can I expect any surprises with the universal joint? Most are easy and some are pigs. I have never disconnected an XJ driveshaft.

Merrill

Mike Roma> Which one is in better shape? That means mileage on gears, leaks or

Reply to
merrill

The U-joints are easy, watch your head though, they can pop out fast.

Mike

merrill wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You could always, um, LIE! "Oops, I thought "CA" (California) *meant* Canada, and the 90028 postal code MUST have been a typo! ;-)

[snip]

noneofyourbusiness

You could, um, ...LIE! Just say you thought CA (California) was for Canada, and 90028 must have been a typo!

;-)

[snip]

noneofyourbusiness

Wait. His `87 was built by AMC, not Chrysler. Are build sheets even _available_ going that far back?

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yes Lee

I had thought of this, but my next thought was nothing ventured nothing gained.

Because of a medical emergency in the family I haven't got around to it yet.

My 84, 87 and 89 could be a problem but my 91's are Chrysler products.

I thought I would try it online and, um, ...LIE! as recommended because I'm not sure I can get to the dealer this week. I will advise the group with the outcome.

Merrill

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
merrill