91 XJ clutch slave

My other fixer-upper is a 91 XJ with no options. 4.0, 5 speed 2 wheel drive.

I got it really cheap, but it isn't too bad. On the drive home, the clutch wasn't 100%. I could pull it into neutral but I had to pump the clutch like crazy and watch the tach to get it into the next gear. It wasn't double clutching, it was clutch frenzy.

I replaced the master and it didn't fix the problem.So I bought a slave and plan to install it soon. I haven't done this for many years and never on a Cherokee. Is there anything I should know?

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

A bunch of cuss words??

Seriously, when you have the slave off, be sure to flush the line and master really well - those slaves put a ton of crap into the fluid which will gum up and/or detstroy your new master and slave in short order. Also, for the cost I would think really hard about replacing the pressure plate and disc while I was in there - pulling the tranny and tc back/out is enough of a PITA to make it a serious consideration. Check the condition of the pilot bearing/bushing.

Reply to
Will Honea

Thank you Will

Unfortunately, I used up all the familiar cuss words changing the water pump and clutch master. Could you forward me some new ones for the clutch slave?

The slave and release bearing are one unit, but I plan to check the disc and pp at the same time.

Merrill

Will H>

Reply to
merrill

My ex- used to surprise me with vocabulary I never heard while in uniform.....

Southern belle.....

Reply to
billy ray

I'm sure some new ones will just pop up as needed .

Advance warning: the top two belhousing bolts are reverse torx - takes either a torx socket or the appropriate size 12-pt socket - either 10 or 12mm but memory fails me - and one helluva long extension. Shop early or be ready for a trip to the tool shop.

Support the rear of the eng> Thank you Will

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III