90 Max intermittant no start

My 90 GXE is exhibiting a weird no-start condition:

Symptoms: Upon trying to start both cold and hot, the engine will crank as normal, but it won't start. At first, I thought it was fuel pump since the pump made no noise, just a weird little buzz, so I replaced it along w/ filter. Still won't start upon several tries, but then it will start after 2x extended cranking. Runs normal, but this morning pulling out of the neighborhood, the darn thing just quits out in the street. Luckily not in the middle of the boulevard! A couple of cranks, and it kicks over and runs normally. While driving along, the motor did a "quick stumble", like a hard-shift kick but continues running normally. After shutting down a few minutes/hours, same thing- won't start after extended cranking, but will start again and run normal. Next stop, it starts right up and runs fine all day.

This condition came out of nowhere!! I've checked my manual and possible problems that come to mind are: bad crank angle sensor ($365), bad ECU ($650) bad relays ($35), bad fuel pressure regulator ($?.00). Distributor cap and rotor are 9 months old. Plugs are fine.

I haven't pulled plug wires yet to see if the condition is an intermittant no-spark problem or what. No stored codes when scanning the ECU memory so says my mechanic. I don't want my mechanic to start replacing things or extended tracing just yet before getting your opinions/ideas.

Help me here, guys!!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Chris, This is a common complaint from owners of the J30 series Maxima.

The problem is with the ECCS relay, It is a green relay located in box just in front of the battery.

This relay controls the turning on and off of the ECM, if the ECM does not turn itself on then guess what ... the car does not start, it just sits there and cranks it azz off and won't start.

I suggest you replace that relay before you do anything else, be sure to post your findings.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks. Pulled the ECCS relay (labeled ENGINE CONT) and checked w/ voltage. Click, Click- it works. Pulled the coil wire and Power Transistor connectors and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. Pulled all wires from distributor, cleaned distributor contacts and spark plug caps with cleaner. Also sprayed all relay contacts w/ spray cleaner. So far this afternoon and evening, the car has been starting and running normally with no extended cranking or any symptom. Gotta find this gremlin!!

Thanks. Chris

Reply to
Chris H

sounds like you did some good preventative maintence.

Reply to
NissTech

Listen to him Chris. Replacing that relay is what fixed my middle daughter's car. Thanx to Nisstech!

Carl

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Update: As I said before, I cleaned all the electrical contacts w/ cleaner and made sure everything is tight. I haven't replaced the ECCS relay yet, but so far the car has run perfect all week without a hint of a problem. I think I might have had a loose connection at either the power transistor or another major wiring connection. From here, I'll just monitor the situation and see what happens next.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Update- This past weekend, the 90 GXE started spazzing out again. First, it started hiccupping and jerking. When it did it, the tach needle would quickly drop to zero and then back up to normal rpm. Sometimes it would jerk a few times, sometimes just once in awhile. After that, the transmission would not downshift into 2nd or 1st when stepping on the throttle. If I shut down and restarted, everything would be ok for awhile. Then on Sunday, the damn thing just shut down dead while going 45mph. This happened 3 or 4 times. Each time, I would go into neutral while coasting, shut off the ignition and restart. Sometimes it wouldn't start until I shut off the ignition again, sometimes it WOULD restart right away and run normal.

Nisstech, I haven't replaced the ECCS relay yet cuz I'm still trying to gather more data, but by this weekend I'll replace the relay and then see there are any changes. I'm also thinking about buying a used distributor and coil from Ebay and replacing the crank angle sensor. I've never had a car just quit dead on me out in the road. Lucky it's not my wife driving or she'd be ripping me a new one! When I've heard of cars doing this, the owners have said it was the computer that needed replacing. I'm not agreeing w/ that just yet.

Thoughts??

Chris H.

90 & 94 GXE's

Reply to
Chris H

I "gathered more data" tonight: Took her out for a spin- everything ok. Went to get gas. Tried to restart at the gas station. No go. Tried again- started and got me home ok. Opened the hood while idling in the driveway. Tapped on the fuse box on left fender that has the ECCS relay- BAMMMM!!! It shut DOWN immediately! Started her up again- tapped on it again- BAMMMM! Shut down!! Removed the ECCS relay and pryed the cover off. Couldn't see anything abnormal on the interior. Checked with voltage and the relay clicked. Noticed this relay has a little resistor built in. Basically the car is relying on this hair-like wire winding and electro-soldered connections. Could it be a tiny corroded connection that's causing the problem?? Hmmmm. Gonna replace this booger tomorrow as soon as Courtesy opens up- on the way to work. I'll keep y'all posted!!

Chris

"> Update-

Reply to
Chris H

Installed new ECCS relay last weekend. Everything has worked properly since. I think the problem has been solves. (fingers crossed, knocking on wood)

Props to Nisstech & Carl 1 Lucky Texan. I, too, am 1 Lucky Texan I got you guys to help me w/ this one!!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

all Nisstech, all the time.

glad you're fixed up.

Carl

Chris H wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Glad to hear it Chris, glad I could help.

It's amazing the problems a 20 dollar relay can cause, ain't it .

And thanks for the props Tex. !

Reply to
NissTech