90YJ gauge conversion

well i did it, i got a set of 2 5/8 gauges for my YJ why 2 5/8, well for me, there BIG and i can see them, measuring the exsisting width of the center panel, i had 3.05 inches for each gauge, still using a 5-cluster set-up, ,

1/4 inch alum, by 15 3/5 inches, used a roundover bitt on the bottom edge and the ends, to give it some detail and went deep enough to leave an edge-cut along the top face, milled out the 5 holes. flipped it over milled the inside out and left a 1/6 inch over all thickness. leaving 1/4 inch frame all the way around. . removed center pod from the jeep. took a 3inch hole-saw and cut out the 5 holes in the plastic face. placed the alum face on top of that, and drilled out for black allen-bolts. bolted it togeather, installed gauges, re-screwed plastic face to dash, theres just enough room to do this, using a 1/4 inch thick panel,

in about a month the whole dam dasah is coming off, and im CJ-ing my YJ dash with an aluminum engin-turned flat-dash but thinking of keeping the upper defroster pad.

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Dirty Ditch Dawg did pass the time by typing:

Sounds cool, got a link to some pics?

Reply to
DougW

got to get some, that and im waiting for my clock and gas gauge to get here, , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Cool.. I have been thinking of doing the same to my 95 YJ.. I can't wait to see some pics of it...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually Bill I saw that before and seriously thinking about it... When I took my dash apart to change out the bulbs, I noticed on the back of the cluster it said "Made in Japan" with Toshiba written on the twist socket for the bulbs.. I wasn't a happy camper and kind of disappointed... Nothing is Really Made In America anymore...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ben did pass the time by typing:

Toyotas are. ;)

Seriously though, anyone that thinks a major brand is particularly one country only is kidding themselves. Those days are long gone and with the exception of hand crafted vehicles or country start-ups, the majority out there are made by huge megaconglomo corporations.

There is "Made in America" and "Assembled in America"

Reply to
DougW

Not even the great American motor cycle (Harley Davidson) is all American the majority of it's electrical system is Japanese.

Reply to
HarryS