05 Jeep grand

I have a Jeep "wk" with the hemi. I have to say it is shortening my life! Does anyone know what is causing the vibration/hesitation when the throttle is lightly applied? I understand I may get flamed or ridiculed, but I am going crazy. My wife's "WJ" and my daughter's "XJ" run better! Thanks Joe

Reply to
Joe

Is that the one where you buy a V8 that decides you really wanted to buy a V6 or a V4 ? If so, I'd investigate the cylinders shutting off for the vibration.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Didn't Chevrolet try that in the mid 80s as well ?

Dave Milne

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:

It's the way it works. Cuts back on cylenders by starving the hydraulic lifters and cutting off the fuel. I actually was waiting on the Hemi to replace my ZJ but after a test drive and reading the problems people are having with it I decided to keep the ZJ.

Reply to
DougW

Honda is doing it with their new Accord Hybrid. I don't know how they are shutting off the other three cylinders. I suspect that, knowing Honda, it is a seamless operation. Of course the engine has to restart every time you stop the car, but I imagine that is very smooth as well.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This is what I was thinking of:

"That big news was, of course, the 1990 Corvette ZR-1 coupe (the ZR-1 was never available as a convertible). Nicknamed "King of the Hill," the ZR-1 was built around the Lotus-designed, Mercury Marine-built, all-aluminum,

5.7-liter, DOHC, 32-valve LT5 V8 making an astounding 375 horsepower. That is, it made 375 horsepower when an in-dash key was set in "full-power" mode and not in the "valet" mode when it was limited to just 250 horsepower."

do you know how they did it ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Nah, it's just to keep the dumb greenies happy by playing three card monte with polution.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wait till you have to have work done on the batteries, transmission, charging system, they are guaranteed for 8 years 100k but when they go kaput, you are looking at $10K total what the hell are they thinking.

Reply to
HarryS

Your reference post indicates a lack of knowledge of the Accord Hybrid. What is it you are driving that a 255 HP Accord can't dream of keeping up with? An F-16? An Accord Hybrid is nothing like a Prius-type vehicle. Completely different animal.

I can only go by what I read in the Honda literature as to how the hybrid gets better mileage than the standard 240 HP V6 Accord. It looks like two factors work to increase fuel efficiency.

  1. When cruising, Variable Cylinder Management deactivates 3 cylinders until needed. 2. The engine is turned off when stopped.

Honda rates the Hybrid for a range of 649 miles. That's about 100 miles more than I can do with our 7th generation Accord V-6 on the highway.

BTW, what you refer to as an "econobox" is over a foot longer, is wider, has a longer wheelbase and more horsepower than our Grand Cherokee V-8. Not exactly a Yugo.

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III