91 jeep wrangler overflows fuel from the nozzle

I have a 91 jeep wrangler with a 3 in. lift. When filling it up, (around 14 gallons), gas spits back from the fill up nozzle. It can then be filled up VERY SLOWLY unitl it is full. Is this normal? Thanks.

Reply to
cld086

The Merg

Mine got better with age, or maybe I just got used to it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It sounds like your '91 might have the "15" gallon tank. If this is the case what you have is a 20 gallon tank with a plastic hose inserted down

5 gallons into the tank which leaves a large air space above which can blow back when filling. The hose can be pulled out most of the way to convert to 20 gal and eliminate the blow back.
Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I had an old car that had the same problem. When you think the tank is nearly full, slow down the filler to the very slow untill it stops.

Like Jeff mentioned, there is a mod to increase the tank capacity and eliminate the blowback problem.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Here's another write-up with better pictures: