Zafira ABS warning light

Guys and Gals.......

Have a 02 Zafira (opel). When the car has been left overnight or for other long periods when its started the ABS warning light stays on highlighting a fault with the ABS system. If I switch engine off again and re-start it clears as normal or if I turn ignition key to position 2 (before it turns the starter) and then back again and then start the engine as normal everything is ok.

Had the car serviced a couple of weeks back and asked them to have a look at it for me. They said they couldnt see any codes on the cars computer relating to ABS so was non the wiser.

Any ideas please??

Reply to
Steve

The very first thing I did when my ABS warning light came on was test the system. Get upto a nice speed (30mph will do it) on a quiet and straight road and stand on the brakes. It should be fairly easy to tell whether the ABS actually worked or the wheels locked up and you skid down the road.

Once you have ascertained that you will know it's either a warning system failure or a genuine problem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can also do a similar test if the Air Bag warning light turns on.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

That reminds me of tests they did in Germany in the 60's before the advent of crash test dummies. They paid volunteers to drive cars into walls at

30mph to test the restraint systems, Mad Bastards.
Reply to
John Egan

Really? Can't say I've ever tried driving into a brick wall to test the air-bag warning light. I can't see how locking the brakes at 30mph would have any bearing on air-bag warning lights either......

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Which is why the test would be similar, but not the same.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick