Doodling Round Hay Bales with a Jeep

Has anyone ever had a hay fork put on thier jeep, either front or back? Lots of people put snow plows on Jeeps, so it seems like a hydraulic fork would be a possible. Hopefully someone out there has already worked out the bugs.

I need to be able to move round hay bales to feed the cows. My tractor is over the hill so I want to use one of my Jeeps. I have a 'tumble bug' that I can use to move bales one at a time.

Reply to
jcwelch

Several things get in your way for this: The relatively soft suspension good for off road does not work well for suspended loads out in front or back. The short wheel base does not give you much back balance to keep the other end on the ground. You didn't say which Jeep you have but most of the axles are not really up to high load factors.

All that said, pe> Has anyone ever had a hay fork put on thier jeep, either front or back?

Reply to
RoyJ

The round bales that are common around my area weigh approx 1,700-1,800 lbs. I'm not sure a jeep could handle that especially when the lift frame and hydraulics are not included in that.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

My round bales are 1,400 pounds, dry. I have had bigger for my cattle. I just bought a dozen.

No way I would ask my Jeep to do anything other than drag them (I don't think it could).

I use a 100 hp John Deere to move them, although I've seen those little Ford tractors lift them onto my trailer. I generally use my F-350 to drag them out into my pastures. It's sometimes easier and faster than trying to start the tractor and hooking up the forks. I use a couple of tow straps to lasso them.

Reply to
Jeepers

I use a JD 4010 with the bale forks on the 3 point. Seems to work good enough for me. Sometimes I'll roll them around with the bobcat if I don't have to move em far.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

RoyJ did pass the time by typing:

on small custom built tow dolly might work. Vermeer made a small two bail trailer, here is a pic. They don't show it on Down near the end, the green tube thingy.

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

That on small custom built tow dolly might work.>

DougW

Diesel or gas JD? Mine is 4020LP, hard to start these days.

I want a bobcat.

If my oil well comes in I'll remedy both situations. ;^)

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Diesel. I'm in Ohio and gas is rare and I've only seen pictures of a lp tractor.

A little bobcat is the best back saver to have around the barn that was ever invented.... This one is thirty years old, little and the hydraulics are getting slow but I swear it's my best friend..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Denny did pass the time by typing:

google for "drip gas" :) My cubicle mate has an old Allice Chalmers that his granpappy used to run off it.

Reply to
DougW

So even an older bobcat is a deal? Is yours a real "Bobcat" or a knockoff? I've used several over the years and have wanted one ever since I busted up my first slab with one with a stinger.

Reply to
Jeepers

It's an actual "Bobcat" brand skid loader. While I don't recall the model number, it's the smallest they made back then. It has a 36" bucket to make it thru the doors in the barn and has a 18 hp Wisconsin motor on it. I could type for hours telling of all the stuff that it can do that it was never designed to do..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Whadya pay for it? Diesel? Maintain it yourself, difficult? Year? Do tell!

Reply to
Jeepers

I never thought of dragging one with a strap. How does that work?

Reply to
jcwelch

Reply to
RoyJ

IIRC, about $5-6K in around '75 or '76

gas

yes

not too bad, having a shop manual for it has helped

Denny

Reply to
Denny

This one is chain drive. I've never had to change a chain but it looks like it wouldn't be fun.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The tow strap has two loops, one on each end. I use a clevis at one end and put the other over the ball hitch. So, from the ball: out to and around the bale back to the strap where I have the clevis, basically a big ol slip knot. As the truck moves forward, the knot tightens. Go slow as the bale sometime "walks" around. I go slow enough for the bale to just drag, I prefer they drag on their end so not to wreck the string wrap. Once in position, back up a bit, loosening the slip knot, open the clevis, unwrap the bale, get out of the way and watch your step! I only have to drag about a hundred yards at most.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
RoyJ