97 TJ 4.0L and the Infamous Exhaust Manifold Crack!!!!

Hello. Well it has finally happened to me. I bought my TJ new in Feb '97 and since accumulated a mere 31,402 miles on it since. Within the past month I noticed a slight ticking sound from the engine compartment while it was running. It has gotten louder since then. I contacted my dealership who said there wasn't anything they could do but that I should call DC customer service and see what they would do directly for me. I called them this morning and talked to a rep who basically stated that they wouldn't be able to do anything for me due to my vehicle being 4 years out of warranty. I replied by saying I understand that but I ONLY have 31,402 miles on my Jeep. She said they weren't willing to do anything, not even a split of the cost as I suggested. She stated that she was has the authority and is the final say in this matter! My biggest issue here is that I've been following this problem on the net for the past 4-5 years and I'm sure that DC knows it's a prevalent problem but won't rectify it properly, or not at all in my case. I've reported it to NHTSA but they only have 35 documented complaints about this problem on my Jeep. I know I've read about alot more instances of this occurring on various ng's. BTW, I've also tried going the Federal Emissions warranty route but was told that only includes the catalytic converter after the first 2 years/24000 miles up til 8 years/80,000 miles. What should I do now? Aftermarket headers? What Brand? What's Best? Mopar High Performance header? And, most importantly, how much is this going to cost me since DC has washed its hands of this/my problem? Anyone here experience this problem yet?

Thanks for letting me vent. Any help, guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Gary B.

I just replaced the exhaust manifold on my 92 YJ with an OEM replacement from Autozone for $192 + tax. The quote I got from my mechanic for replacing it was $400 just for the labor. I ended up doing it myself, which took about 4 hours. The only issues I had were getting the gasket between the manifold and down-pipe compressed, and getting the bolts underneath the intake manifold torqued properly.

When I was looking at performance headers alot of them had fine-print statements like "requires some fabrication"... Not exactly sure what that entails but it put me off since I don't have a welder or any heavy machinery in my garage. The prices I saw were between $200 and $600. I wouldn't think a mechanic would charge you any more for installing a header vs a stock manifold unless they have to machine it or trim your down-pipe.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Trevor Watt

I think that replacing it with the factory header will cost you $800 or so at least... The aftermarket ones are cheaper... If you are mechanically inclined enough to do all the work yourself, you could get by for $350 or so for a Borla header if I remember correctly... Mine has been cracked on my XJ for over 2 years... It flunked one inspection and I just took it too a different shop instead of trying to fix it.. It's overdue for another inspection right now and I'm thinking about trying to repair it with multiple layers of fiberglass... It's not possible to weld the damn thing without taking it off the vehicle, but I could probably wrap some fiberglass around it and perhaps it'll last until after the inspection... For now, I'm just driving around without a valid inspection sticker...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Grumman-581 did pass the time by typing:

Might try muffler bandage.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to