95 YJ timing chain questions

Daughter is replacing her timing chain/gears on her 95 YJ, 2.5 L, we have everything off to do it, but can't get large gear off, they both slide out easily about 3/4" then large one stops dead, you can acually slide it back and forth making it clunk. We have Hayne and full shop manuals, we've followed them to this point. Can't see behind gear enough to see if there is a clip, and books don't say there is, so any ideas?

Reply to
Greg

I am thinking the key is stuck either in the pulley or on the shaft, but most likely in the pulley.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Greg

My book isn't clear on that, but the pulley has to fit on only one way doesn't it? I have seen keys rock in the slot jamming like you describe anyway.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

So that would be the whole cam moving in and out then?

Mike

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Yup. putting needless bite marks on the lobes and lifters. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Oops I see all the timing gears use the same picture:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Still weird:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You are sliding it off as an assembly? As per:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Is it a special puller? And yes we are removing all as a unit.

Reply to
Greg

It looks as if a small to medium two-jaw puller might fit. Book just says, "Remove the crankshaft sprocket, camshaft sprocket and timing chain as an assembly". Like it would be easy. Don't forget to line up the marks first.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton