Engine misfire causing rough idle

I have a Jeep Sport Cherokee 2000. (85,000 miles) If I replace one cyclinder and later the same problem show up, do I have to replaced the whole valve? Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

Say what????

Man if you can replace a cylinder on a Jeep engine, you would be in really high demand. That would be one insane magic trick!

Mike

Mike Romain

The question doesn't make sense. I am not even going to guess.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

He has the diesel with cylinder sleeves:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

from the dealer service department:

Cylinder #3 misfire detected. performed minor tune up and cleared the codes. advised the customer that if the check engine light comes back on the cyl head will need to be removed.

well after $112.88 last Friday, the engine service light did come on. the cylinder head removal and fix will cost about $1,000..........

Advise? Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

What EXACTLY was their diagnosis?

Reply to
billy ray

My first advise would be to find a 'real' mechanic, you are being took.

They basically put it on the computer and cleared the codes. For a hundred bucks that's all you get.

'What' was included in a 'minor tune up'? What parts were replaced?

There are a ton of things that can cause a misfire. Usually spark related like a bad coil connection or even fuel related like from a dirty injector or even just a bad spark plug.

Some folks put Bosch spark plugs in. Most Jeep engines will develop a miss very soon after, they just don't like those plugs.

It sounds like they want to sucker you for a valve job maybe which 'shouldn't' be needed on an engine with that low a miles.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > from the dealer service department:
Reply to
Mike Romain

Including the code that is set!

There a few TSB's out on the 2000 involving rough idle. These all imply the computer programming is just plain bad and the computer needs new software.

One is for bad idle after a hot start, another is after a cold (below

50F) start.

That data page might need to be drilled down for again..

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > What EXACTLY was their diagnosis?
Reply to
Mike Romain