'96 JGC Ltd 5.2L fan removal?

I'm trying to follow the instructions from the factory manual to replace my radiator and the first significant step is the removal of the fan/viscous fan drive. The instructions say to keep the pulley from turning when unscrewing the big pulley nut to wedge a bar or screwdriver between the water pump pulley bolts but I can't figure out any way to do that as they're recessed into the pulley.

Suggestions?

_Rich_ (stuck before really getting started)

Reply to
Oh pooh said Bother

I some/lots of times use a socket and socket wrench or power bar to hold one bolt while unbolting the other(s).

Mike

Mike Romain

I'm guessing you have the 4.0L engine. A day later I'm still stuck on this and have tried all kinds of things.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to make a tool for it but I need to find some steel stock somewhere. (Taking a thin piece of steel bar stock and drilling two holes the same distance as the spacing of the holes on the pulley, then threading them and putting two bolts thru.) I've already mangled a steel shelving bracket once I figured I could put 2 1/4-20 bolts into the holes to have something to wedge against. Can't get enough leverage with anything I have that will catch the bolts enough to hold.

That thing's on their tight!

_Rich_

Reply to
Oh pooh said Bother

Have you removed the shroud?

"Oh pooh said Bother" wrote in message news:121120051416148389% snipped-for-privacy@hbs.edu...

Reply to
Billy Ray

I have both engines, the 4.0 and 4.2. I have had the fan off both....

I am talking about the small bolts that hold the pulley and putting a wrench on them to hold things tight. I also have backed out those bolts so I could jam the big screwdriver across them.

Mike

Oh pooh said Bother wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

like this?

DougW

Yup.

That big center bolt sometimes needs a smack on the wrench handle to break it free too or an impact driver after the rad is out of the way. Oh he is trying to remove the rad isn't he?

If it is that much of an SOB, I would likely leave the sucker in and just drop the shroud back over it and carefully work the rad out.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

And if the rad is garbage, take out the word 'carefully'. ;-)

Reply to
Mike Romain

Gotta stop talking to myself here....

He also doesn't need to remove the fan from the clutch, he can just remove the clutch from the water pump and leave the freakin' fan alone.....

Reply to
Mike Romain