F-150 Fan Clutch Removal

Greetings again, I have moved on from the rusty underside of my 93 F-150 to a worn waterpump. I have gotten the pump out of the truck, but am having difficulty getting the fan clutch separated from the pump. My Chilton Manual specifies a special tool for the job, which I suspect Ford sells at an extortionate price. One alternative I can envision is to drill a steel bar with 5/16 holes spaced for the bolts that attach the water pump pulley.

The makeshift tool would need to be able to withstand considerable torque, and I wonder if it will work. Does anyone have an alternative, or is this the only way to get this off?

Reply to
Bruce Nolte N3LSY

You can use a large adjustabel or vise grips in a pinch....but yes there is a flat bar type wrench and holder for it. If you leave the belt on to help hold it you should be able to get it loose.

Reply to
Uncle Dodo

I've got a set from Lisle that cost about $50, Carquest sells them for the same price. I'd suggest perhaps buying them if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, they'll come in handy later on for various reasons. I think NAPA or someone else has a set that adapts onto the ends of half inch drive tools, ISTR that the set of four was only around $25.

If not, try calling around to different parts stores to see if you can rent them. I know AutoZone has a tool loaning program, this might be the route to go if it's just going to be a one time deal.

Reply to
Drew Hill

and just remember its left hand treads!!!

Reply to
Arizona

That nut is on TIGHT, and I tried remounting the pump to do just that, with a brand new belt at that.

Reply to
Bruce Nolte N3LSY

No, not on this one it is right hand threads, and in fact there is a notice printed on the fan shroud to that effect. BTW, the tool is $70, but I got my friendly neighborhood mechanic to take it off for me (thanks Shaef). Got the new pump mounted, then found out that the threads don't match the old fan clutch. Turns out that the truck (an early production 93) was using pumps and fan clutches left over from the

92 model year. I took it back, and the pump for a 92 fit perfectly.

Ended up wasting most of the afternoon mounting the wrong pump, figuring out why it wouldn't work, taking it off then running over to Westminster to exchange it, then getting the right pump from another auto parts store. Ugh! I could have been out riding my motorcycle if it wasn't for that damn pump.

Reply to
Bruce Nolte N3LSY

Use the "proper" tool for the job, an Impact Wrench. -PapaRick

Bruce Nolte N3LSY wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo