Intermittent starting problem with 1996 Cherokee sport 4.0L [no turnover]

I have an intermittent issue with my cherokee where it will not crank over at all. When it does crank over it starts with ease. New battery, starter engages fine. It's not the TDC sensor becasue that issue usually allows the engine to crank over but with no spark.

I'll check the ground terminal, but what else could be the culprit? Is there a sensor that will not allow the engine to turn over in this regard, perhaps coupled with shifter position ect?

Any tips appreciated

Reply to
josh00

Crank Position Sensor , I have seen this thing cause all kinds of different problems, from no start, no crank all the way through to killing the engine while doing 90mph in the fast lane (personal experience here). If you check the codes you should be able to see it. (again experience has shown me that this is not always true either).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

neutral safety switch or clutch pedal switch? ign switch or alarm?

Reply to
One out of many daves

I tried moving shiter to neutral and toggling in and around Park. Initially nothing happened but eventually started. I'm not sure if that was the problem.

Reply to
josh00

There is a neutral safety switch that can get slightly out of adjustment. It can be adjusted. The test is to move the shifter slightly or move it to neutral and see if it then starts right up.

If it is a case of hitting the key several times before it will crank, then I would suspect a main battery cable needs cleaning (don't forget the cables have two ends...) or the ground from the head to the firewall is ratty.

Mike

Mike Romain

I can't remember offhand how to read the codes.. I know you turn over switch x amount of times and watch for light strobes...

can you give me a link on codes and how to position ign switch?

thanks

Reply to
josh00

Have a picture of where neutral safety switch is at? On tranny somewhere?

thanks

Reply to
josh00

Is the CPS in an easy location to replace? I'm assuming it is a plug in harness type module? Online pics and instructions somewhere?

thanks for your help.

Reply to
josh00

Pax side of tranny, the connector is rear right side of engine bay, around the tranny dip stick. if you have a cheap haynes manual it will show you the schematic for the switch, you can check for continuity. As for the cps its a pain the assets to change. I believe for checking codes its key on key off key on key off key on,

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Ed's was easy to remove/replace with a 1/4" socket set and a LONG extension from underneath. His '96 XJ had it on the driver's side, other references find it on the passenger side.

see pix:

Sometimes you can get breaks inside a cable that alternates working perfectly fine / no juice. Give them all a shake and see if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
Billy Ray

No, that sounds more like a dirty main cable now.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
josh00

No fault codes ... it's giving me a code of 12 and 55[end of test]

code 12 appears to be "battery recently disconnected"

I'll keep researching, thanks

Reply to
josh00

Don't waste your time. A crank position sensor will not cause a no crank condition.

Probably a neutral safety or connection problem.

Reply to
bllsht

With my '96, the symptoms you describe indicated a failing starter. Suggestion ... when it fails, crawl under and whack it ... the starter :-) ... with a hammer ... or, if you have say a 5' length of (steel) pipe, you can get at it from above through the engine compartment. If it turns immediatly after that it's likely the starter. I assume you've crawled under and cleaned/checked the starter connections.

And ... that began a succession of 3 rebuilts, that all failed within a year of purchase. Since they were under one year warranty, that's why I kept going back. If it's the starter, maybe go get a mean green or whatever.

Reply to
bowgus

There used to be people in this country, who could rebuild a starter, and make it last longer than it did when new. I don't know what happened to them. Retired or died off, I expect. You may have heard this before, but I have had two GM vehicles with hammer marks all over the starter from a previous owner. A new battery permanently resolved the problem. One thing I still have in my tool box is a clip on magnetic ammeter, that fits over the battery cable. I little intelligent diagnosis goes a long way to resolving starter problems.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
philthy

Where'd you get your rebuilts? Dealer or other Mopar parts or elsewhere?

Looks like I have a stuck starter as well, the whack it with a pipe method seems to be proving...

bowgus proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Yes, cleaned and still intermittent issue. One thing I noticed is I don't hear the solenoid kick in like I believe I should hear when it decides not to start. This is prior to the engagement to the starter so I will look there also.

Thanks

Reply to
josh00