Key stuck in ignition

I have 2000 camry CE 4 cylinder, this morning while turning on the key it got stuck, could not take it out with littler jiggle. Looks like it is stuck. I was getting late at work so drove another car but thought someone had some solution.

Reply to
c_shah

I believe you have to push the key in while turning to get to the last key release position. Good luck!

Reply to
dsi1

No luck. Looks like to me that I have to change ignition cylinder. couple of local shops are telling two to three hours of labor plus $110 for cylinder itself.

Reply to
c_shah

Sounds like a lot of dough. I changed the lock on my Ford Taurus using a ignition cylinder I bought on eBay for $25. It was stupidly simple enough to pop it out. I have not done it on a Camry but my understanding is that after removing the steering housing, you set the key on the accessory position and push a thin probe into the lock release hole - the whole assembly should pull out. If you cannot move the key into the accessory position, you'll have to drill the lock pin out or more likely, call for the locksmith.

If you can get it out and disassemble the cylinder, my understanding is that the 2 lock inserts that are split to increase the lock security tend to be troublesome and the repair is to reassemble the cylinder without them. This would be preferable to replacing the whole assembly since you won't have to use a separate key for the ignition and doors like I have to for my Ford. Whatever you do, good luck!

Reply to
dsi1

Disconnect the battery and get some spray Electronics or Brake cleaner and spray it well and move the key around, all the dirt over the years may have just stuck it up, do you have dirty keys often, mine are from dirty pockets and working outside. Most cleaners are flamable, so let it dry for a few hours before hooking back up the battery

Reply to
ransley

Do you have an automatic transmission? If yes, then make sure that it is in PARK, as otherwise an interlock switch may prevent the key from being removed. The other thing that helps, sometimes, is to gently turn the steering wheel left and right a few times, and try pulling on the key with one hand while turning the steering wheel with the other hand.

Good luck.

Mort Linder

Reply to
Mort