key sticks in ignition switch

I have a 91 Nissan pickup/automatic transmission, with an ignition switch that only releases the key when you turn it off on an intermittent basis. What I am wondering is, before I replace this $150 part, is there any other thing that might effect the locking function that I might have overlooked? I read that the Maxima has a sensor in the door panel that indicates what position the gear shift is in. Anything like this in the pckup?

Thanks for your help,

Howard

Reply to
miles

Most of the automatic cars have interlocks for the trans/brake system. It's made so you can't put it in gear until you step on the brake and can't remove the key until it's in park. Many times it's not a big deal to remove this interlock solenoid from the switch assembly to "fix" this problem, but then you're on your own to not leave the car in gear and have it roll away! :-)

Reply to
Steve T

My 93 Max and 87 Pulsar (I think) had some kind of button to push in order to fully turn the key to off. Maybe you have a problem in that department?

Here's a story I may have told here before.. Years ago I was at a club and bumped into this cute girl I knew. Later she said goodbye and left, only to return quite exasperated because of some kind of problem with her ignition key being stuck.

Being the automotive know-it-all I was at that young age, I offered to help her out.. In a moment I figured out her steering wheel was cocked and binding the key, I turned it hard and voila' the key could move. Usually I see this kind of problem when trying to leave the car, not the reverse.

She was very nice to me in the following weeks ;)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (miles) wrote:

Reply to
Pat