97 Subaru Ignition Key won't turn

I have seen this posted before without a reply and would rather not have my car towed If I can fix it myself.

My ingnition key will not turn in the lock. I have tried the usual turning the wheel while turning the key, moving it up and down, etc. Nothing works.

I have an Automatic. The manual says there is an override switch under a cover in the steering column. I removed the cover but no sort of switch can be seen.

If someone could tell me how to find this switch that would be great... also if the ignition lock needs to be replaced, could this be done by someone with a moderate amount of mechanical knowledge.

I may need to get some work on it anyways because the power locks will only unlock and the pins are broken in the rear door so it can't be locked or unlocked, but some help in the meantime would be great.

Reply to
D.Stone.Design

The switch is under the shift lever cover on the console. My manual shows a screw driver being inserted to trip the switch.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I pulled off the cover but could not find the switch, and I am a little hesitant to start twiddling a screwdrive in there blind... what sort of damage can I do if I try to remove the steering wheel column cover?

Reply to
D.Stone.Design

Been a long time since I messed with one, but I can't imagine that things have changed much. You'll have to drill the mounting bolts out. Installing the new one should be easy. But you're working in tight quarters and getting the parts of the steering column off can be tricky. Helps to have a manual handy because on some cars they are held on with clips or tabs. After you remove the bolts you have to know when to use force.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

page 7-13 of your owners manual

remove three screws securing the undercover of steering column(screwdriver is in tool bag) remove undercover turn the ignition key while pressing the pressing the interlock release lever (pic in manual) it is a little lever up inside a small window under the steering wheel

should do it

then it says take subaru to a dealer to have it repaired...

Reply to
bj

What a coincidence - my 03 Forrester has started doing the exact same thing! On occasion the key just will not turn. So far all I've had to do is simply re-insert the key. The door chimes ding so something knows the key has been inserted. I switched keys and it seems to be a bit better. Fails maybe once every 3 weeks. I don't remember anything about an override switch, but I'll have to look. I do know of the transmission override switch on the center console, but that's for a different problem.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1160521082.423448.305200 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Anonymous

Another possibility is a worn key. The end tends to wear down and then the key goes in too far. Getting a new one cut from the code would be worth trying. Some dealers do it for free.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger