97 Wrangler - Loud squeal under hood

I have a 97 Wrangler(Auto) with 65,000 miles on it; I started gettting this loud squeal from under the hood at idle, however when I accelerate it goes away until I am back at idle, but it will also occasionally stop while at idle for a while and then just start back again. I had the serp belt replaced, thinking it was the old belt, but it still continues. Took it to the shop for some other work and they couldn't get it to make the noise while they had it. With the hood up while it is making the noise, I just can't seem to pinpoint it, though it seems like it is coming more from the left side of the engine bay. One of my co-workers suggested a pulley. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
gusnole9399

My harmonic balancer (lower center) went bad and was rubbing (squealing) on the timing chain cover at idle. Remove the belt and start it up. If the squeal persists, you might look there. If not, check all your idler wheels. If they turn fine, next most likely culprits are alternator (lower left) and power steering pump (upper right).

Best guess is your alternator is about to fail.

Steve

gusnole9399 wrote:

Reply to
Steve