Muffler is dead.. which replacement is best?

Well, my catalytic converter died (per my post last week) and luckily the dealer replaced it for free without giving me a hard time. It took them a week.... but hey, what's a little patience, right? Anyhow, in the process they "discovered" that the heat shield on my muffler had come off on one side and was barely hanging on to the other end. Strange, it wasn't like that when I dropped it off. Anyhow, I told them I didn't want a stock muffler and definitely wasn't paying dealership prices for one and to have it installed. Service guy agreed.

Long story short -- I took the exhaust (cat - back) off to verify the problem. Looked all over town for a cat-back system that I could throw up there without any welding. None to be found. I ripped the heat shield the rest of the way off and slapped the system back in. Everything is running fine.

Now, I know the muffler is on it's way out anyway. Time for a replacement. What should I replace it with? I've heard a number of suggestions in the past. BUT, I'm not going for some marginal performance gain, but more like long-term reliability/warranty. I liked the Gibson cat-back I had in my full-size Chevy, but it was LOUD. I don't mind loud. I don't mind quiet. Just don't want to spend too much $$, but have a quality product that I can bolt right in. Thoughts? BTW, I have a reciever hitch, so I think the Borlas are out...

Jeep info:

99 TJ SE (2.5L, 5Spd) 4" Rough Country lift (Sitting in my garage.. will be installed in just a couple of weeks) 31" A/Ts (32's soon... maybe 33's if I can afford the gearing) Reciever hitch Cold Air Intake (ya ya ya, I know) TB Spacer (booo hisssss.. snake oil.. too lazy to take off) 4.0L TB Receiver hitch (most Borlas I found way back when were not hitch-friendly)

Don't know what makes a difference in the decision, so I thought I'd give you what might pertain (intake, lift, tire size, etc)

Thanks!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I have a very strong preference for the "guaranteed for life" brand. The cat-back on my XJ will not cost me a dime...ever.. unless the hangers go because the welds are guaranteed as well. Obviously I'm not concerned with squeezing out 5 or 10 hp from a tuned system bolted to a 4.0L Had we been talking a performance car I could justify it. JMPO.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Guaranteed for life is actually a brand? Where can it be bought?

hitch-friendly)

Reply to
Eric

It's not a brand name.. generic parts. The shop offers the warranty on the product and service. Not many places will warranty the welds though, I just got lucky.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I went with a Dynomax super turbo with that 'lifetime' warranty on it and like it. Not too noisy, but it has a nice growl.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That's just premature wear of the muffler bearings.

Reply to
twaldron

But that's just the muffler isn't it? What did you do for the tail pipe?

hitch-friendly)

Reply to
Eric

Banks Power makes a virtually factory exhaust system with a cat back exhaust. Just replaced the exhaust manifold and muffler system with a Banks Power system, Used existing hangers, and everything else was bolt together.

DirtyBob3Feather