97 ZJ front bearing/hub question

Well, the mechanic at the muffler shop found that the right front wheel bearing is going--I'm going to check that out myself but he seems to know what he's doing. If in fact it needs to be replaced, what's the best way to go, pay whatever Jeep wants for an original part, the Timken that Autozone has for a hundred bucks, 40 bucks on ebay, or is it rebuildable with reasonable effort?

Also, anybody have suggestions on a cheap way to get the 175 ft-pounds torque? My torque wrench only goes to 150. My notion is to stick my biggest breaker bar on it, put a piece of pipe on the breaker bar, and load the pipe with 87.5 pounds of free weights centered on the 2 foot mark, but if anybody has a better idea I'd be glad to hear it.

TIA.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Depends on what you call "reasonable effort." It is something you can do with basic tools but getting that bolt loose usually takes an air wrench or a breaker bar and sledge. Get a can of PB Blaster and soak the bolts the day before you take it apart. One I ran across was so corroded it had to be split (notched with a dremmel and finished with a cold chisel)

I'd go OEM or Timken (which is likely the OEM). Who knows what quality you get on fleabay. If you have never packed a bearing this shows the proper method.

spin a dry bearing. Some people soak them in degreaser thenair dry them with the hose, that's not good for the bearing as itcauses scratches.

Have you tried Autozone or PepBoys for a loaner wrench?

I'd just go get a "decent" torque wrench in that range. The aren't that expensive.

mine from Steve's tools for about $50 You can find cheaper ones that usethe pointer and scale. At that level most wrenches are not that accurate anywaytill you get to the 600$ ones. The oddest thing I've seen is standing on a scale and putting n pounds of your weight on 3-4' of breaker bar .... it's wierd but it works.

Reply to
DougW

Well, turns out that there is some play in the right front, so the bearings are shot. Looks like the Timken it is. Should probably do both sides but money is tight right now.

Reply to
John Clarke