Rusted out Y-pipe clamp suggestions

Replaced the Cat and everything behind it on my '97 ZJ 5.2 and it got a lot quieter for about a week, then started getting progressively louder.

Got under it today with a light and found out why .

The bolt I can see easily is rusted down to practically nothing and the clamp itself looks like it's completely severed.

So, any sage advice on the least painful way to proceed?

Or is this one where the best option is to find a good exhaust shop and let them worry about it?

It looks like the bolt is secured by a nut on the other side of the manifold rather than being threaded into the manifold. Is that correct? If so am I just as well off to go ahead and cut the bolts off and drive them out? Or are they threaded in and have to be turned out?

I've found does that look like a good approach?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I vote for this option.

Yep. Bolts and nuts. With that much rust I wonder what the manifold side looks like. The problem is that flange is slid on before downpipe end is flared and I'm not aware of an aftermarket refit that can slide on after you take off the old downpipe fitting. :( I've seen some custom bits cut out of flat stock then rewelded, but that's a lot of work. I'd check the local muffler shop and ask if they have anything that can do that.

Given the rust I'd check on how much a new downpipe costs. Of course that takes welding again at the cat.. but considering the rust that's probably your best bet.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, they used make a set of half-flange pieces with a "U" slot in the middle. The pieces slide together around the pipe and the holes on the ears then match up to hold it together. There was one fancy set that even had a pad one either side that the "U" slid over so that there was a thickness matched for a flush fit against the flare. The whole thing was considerably thicker than the original flange and they held pretty well. Of course, those flanges used to come with brass hardware - even double-nutted - so you could get them of. Haven't looked for them in years but they may still be around.

Biggest problem I've had in that part of the exhaust was finding a replacement gasket. The originals I've worked with were asbestos - try finding THAT today!

Reply to
Will Honea

Well, the y-pipe is 68 bucks from Amazon, and I've got Prime so the shipping is free. Now to see how much more than that the muffler shop will charge. And once it's all on and tight I think I'm going to spray VHT on the whole area--dunno if it will help keep the flanges and bolts from rusting but it can't hurt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Went down to the local independent muffler shop today and found that it is now a Midas. Figured since I was already there I'd see what they said. Their guy can do the split flange for he's guessing a couple of hours labor or the whole Y-pipe for more.

Considering that I'm in the middle of a project in the garage and can't get it in there, and that the weather's going to turn cold and wet by the weekend I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and let him do it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Probably a good move. Those rusted bolts can be a flaming bitch to get out! Also consider the typical situation where one problem leads to another or you cause another problem in the process. Can you tell that I HATE exhaust work?

Reply to
Will Honea

Well, the bottom line is that it took Midas 2 hours labor to fix the thing--250 bucks later (including tax) it no longer wakes the dead.

Reply to
J. Clarke