98 TJ problems

Have a really weird problem coming home from Death Valley while on vacation. Just cruising along about 65 with the ac cranking in about 95 degrees out. the water temp was a shade over 210 and everything was fine. Then without warning I notice a sudden loss of power as if someone turned the ignition off. Which scared me because I was on the 127 freeway out in the middle of nowhere. then the engine came back to life. this cutting in and out occurred sporadically all the way to the I-15 freeway. It would cut out then come back online. Everything seemed fine as far as the alt, temp and gas gauge goes. It finally died 30 miles before Barstow and then I had to be towed in. After it died I tried to restart it and it started fine. The check engine light did come on longer then usual but soon went out. I had it towed to a shop in Barstow the AAA suggested I go. They did not find a thing wrong with it. Cat was fine, the MAP was ok. cap and rotor ok, fuel pump ok, no codes showed up, spark plugs fine, and they test drove it 30 miles. So I drove it the rest of the way home without the AC running and made it ok. Just really gets me as to what the problem could be, Any ideas? The only thing that I can think of is a corroded battery terminal?? A/C might have been drawing to much current, denying the computer antiquate power??

98 TJ 4.0 45,000 5 spd
Reply to
Joe

Jerry Bransford

mine did that, Jeep was running then got really ruff idling and engine died. took 3-4 attempt before it start again . That was Monday night. Tuesday was fine and then Wed morning the Jeep never restart until CPS been replace.....

"Jerry Bransford" a écrit dans le message de news: BUdke.2205$tp.349@fed1read05...

Reply to
Patrick

Every CPS I have seen fail were just perfect still. The failure is only in the plug connections. They are very small computer signal pins and sit right on top of the exhaust manifold so are subjected to wild temperature swings. Opening the plug and cleaning it with a good spray contact cleaner has fixed every one 'I' have come across.

If you google it, you will see lot of folks say 'oh, you can get some more starts out of it if you just unplug it to 'reset' it.' Well, they do not 'reset', the movement just cleans the contacts slightly.

Mike

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Would't he get a 54 error code though? Same exact thing happened with mine, but I absolutely got a 54 after each "event"

Reply to
Dallas Kincaid

He may not get any code, the CPS went bad on my 93 XJ, it took the stealership 6 visits to gamble and decide to change the CPS on spec. I would take the XJ in right after I experienced the same symptoms and there would be no codes. On the last visit the "jeep mech and jeep electrician" were both back from holidays and training so after about a 15 min wait they had the CPS changed and ready to go on a two week trial. If the problem reoccurred they would look for other possibilities if during the two week time everything went well, then I was to go back and settle up the bill.

It's been 6 yrs since I paid that bill and no problems since they changed the CPS.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

replace.....

Did it throw a code? Check Engine light? __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Joe, Keep an eye on the fuel pump. I had the same thing happen about one year ago. It took me about one month to track it down to a failing pump. A new OEM pump cured the problem. A fuel pressure guage was reading at the low end of normal, but the difference in pressure at the fuel pump rail was very impressive when you depressed the pressure release valve. It went from a gentle squirt to a high pressure spray with the new pump. Regards, Guri Sandhu

98TJ, former CJ3
Reply to
sandhug