"Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON)

I see there are quite a few posts on this topic but I'm not able to find the answer to the problem. The "lights on" chime when the engine is turned off is not working on my 97 TJ. I searched older posts and realize that the #4 fuse behind the glove box needs to be in for this chime to work (along with the "keys in" buzzer and the door switch that controls the interior lights, which are also not working). Assuming the #4 fuse was blown I replaced it and still no luck. I drive with the doors on (so far) and frequently forget to turn the lights out.

Also, based on some of the scratches on the doors I'm guessing the previous owner removed the doors frequently. Is it possible ALL of these features were disabled another way other than pulling the #4 fuse?

Any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.

Howie

97 TJ Sport
Reply to
HG97TJ

LOL!

'Pull' the fuse out...

You put the fuse 'in' to defeat the door switch and chime. ;-)

Mike

HG97TJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

the fuse must be IN for chime to work LOL MIKE was wrong... make sure the door pins are in place... the previous owner could have unplugged them and taken them out...

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Hmmm, I thought you 'added' the fuse to #4 or the auto tranny slot to defeat the neutral switch and door lights. One of Bill 'dyslexic' moments maybe.. ;-)

Well, wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken...

If so, then I have seen a few folks post about removing the chime itself off the dash circuit board as well as messing with the door switches.

Mike

IsellJeeps wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

you do ADD for tranny...that is correct... but remove for lights

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Yes.

Have you looked at the Door Switch to see if somebody unplugged it?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's backwards Mike. Pull the fuse to defeat the circuit, insert the fuse to enable it.

My guess is that the PO unplugged the door switch once, and never plugged it back in again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was thinking tranny, you add a fuse into the auto slot to defeat the neutral switch.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ok, that is opposite, I was thinking tranny fuse to defeat the neutral switch.

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm stumped. I checked the door jam switches on both sides and they're both plugged in and don't appear to have been modified in any way. Also, the #4 10A fuse is new. Any other ideas on why the "lights on", "keys in" reminders and the floor lights w/doors open are not working?

Reply to
HG97TJ

Reply to
mic canic

Remove the bell? I'm trying to figure out why it is not working, not trying to disable it.

Reply to
HG97TJ

Who did you buy the Jeep from? Maybe he is one of the folks that posted about removing the chime from the circuit board? Some people hate those chimes....

Do the door switches actually work to turn the lights on?

Mike

HG97TJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The door switches do not work to turn the lights on but the lights work when turned on manually using the knob on the dash.

Reply to
HG97TJ

Ok, now we are getting somewhere if you are replying to my post??

You will need to follow the wiring for the switches and find out where they have been unplugged or cut. Some folks get fancy and use the wiring diagram to disable things.

Will your engine also start in gear with the clutch up?

Mike

HG97TJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's not working because somebody already removed it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you're in British Columbia...it's called a Marijuana moment! ;)

Reply to
Steve

Before you start tracing wires, you could do a simple test and unplug the wires from the switch on the door, and short them together. Can't remember if it is one or two, if only one, you ground it. If that makes the light work, or the chime go off with lights on, then it is a bad switch. Otherwise, start tracing.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô