98 XJ Check Engine Light - HELP!!

Anybody know how to diagnose a Check Engine Light on a 98 XJ, 4.0l, Auto??? I spent the day wheelig with no issues. The family and I left on our pilgrimage to Wally World and half way there the check engine light came on. The jeep then wouldn't get out of 2nd gear. Any ideas?? I have a big trip planned and need to get the heep fixed fast and cheap!

Thank you very much in advance, Jeff Oosterhouse

Reply to
'98 XJ Classic

Jeff,

While I'm not an expert on years, models, etc., I believe we can fix you right up. From (about) 94 to 98 you cycle the ignition switch: on/off, on/off, on/off, then on - leaving it on - and count the flashes on the "check engine" light. Two blinks followed by a pause followed by four blinks would be code 24.

Later years you could simply read the codes on the electronic odometer after following the same aforementioned procedure, some models you have to hold the odometer reset button in while turning on the ignition to read the codes coming accross the electronic odometer.

You can get a list of trouble codes from nearly anywhere on the internet to check out what each number means. If you see code 55 that simply means the test is complete.

Two weekends ago we did some four wheeling in my wife's Grand Cherokee (97) and the "check engine" light came on. It faulted the MAF sensor, probably the rocking back and forth to get out of the ditch bamboozled the sensor. I unhooked the battery for thirty seconds to reset the computer and it hasn't faulted anything since.

Good luck.

RAH out. ================= '98 XJ Classic wrote:

Reply to
flyairam

[...]

RAH out. ================= '98 XJ Classic wrote:

Reply to
flyairam

Good news, I borrowed a OBDII scanner Autozone and found that I had a bad throttle position sensor. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice!!

Jeep On!!!

Reply to
'98 XJ Classic

You can likely just remove the plug and clean it and the socket with a contact cleaner and be on your way again. I have to do mine every couple years. WD40 even will work.

Mike

'98 XJ Classic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain