ABS Problems on 97 Cherokee

Hello,

Wondering if I could get some advice from you kind folks here. Over the last year and a half I have experienced intermittent problems with my ABS on my 97 Cherokee. When coming to a complete stop the ABS will kick in at maybe 5 mph right before the stop. It might do it a few times in a row then disappear for months at a time. Everything checks out when I take a look at the braking system, so I was stumped. I even have had the braking system professionally inspected a couple times right after the behavior, but everything checks out fine.....so I guessed it's one of those 'wait until it gets worse' kind of things.

Lately however, it seems to be increasing in frequency. Yesterday after exhibiting the same behavior the ABS light came on. This leads me to think that it might be getting worse. Any ideas or troubleshooting advice for fixing this? Thanks, Shelby

Reply to
shelby

shelby did pass the time by typing:

Two things can do this.

1) ABS sensor just slightly out of cal (but still within spec) That will pass tests but act up. Generally it occurs just as you say, right before the stop. But first do step 2. If step 2 doesn't work have the mechanic take a real close look at the sensors because one of them is out of calibration (or covered in metal filings)

2) Grime in the ABS computer connector (or the abs sensor connectors)

To clean the ABS sensors use a paper towel and a stick. While your in there make sure the tone ring (toothed ring by the sensor) isn't missing any teeth.

(based on the 93 ZJ) Clean the connector on your ABS computer.

Get a plastic bag, paper towel, a q-tip or ten, a zip tie and some contact cleaner that's safe for plastic and a bit of dilectric grease (sparkplug boot grease)

Disconnect the battery Lift the latch and disconnect the harness Take the airbox top and filter off. (this is your work sink)

Put the plastic bag in the airbox bottom, and some paper towels now move the connector over the sink and open the shield, tap out all the dirt and spray with cleaner (make sure it doesn't get on the paint and if it does wipe it up pronto, it's like paint remover)

Clean the contacts on the ABS computer.

Put the shell back on and use the ziptie if the one on there broke.

Pack the dilectric grease into the connector and put it back on the computer.

This fixes about 80% of all ABS light problems.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
philthy