Add MP3 play w/o screwing up anything

I would like to be able to play MP3 in My Grand Cherokee. I currently have the stock CD/tape player. I don't believe putting in another stock player will look good as the corners are rounded on the Jeep system. I don't want to make the dash look half ass. Since the built in has CD changer controls, is there something I could get that would go under the drivers seat or in the back and be controlled from up front? I am looking preferably for a hard drive player, but a CD player that plays MP3 (particularly on DVD) would be an improvement.

Reply to
MC

It may be just me, but isn't this a question that is better suited for a stereo newsgroup, and not a bunch of gearhead offroaders?

Reply to
CRWLR

MC did pass the time by typing:

Not that uses the stock controlls. What they do have play over an FM station or require a new head unit. (some can use a small stick-on head unit)

Go visit a local custom audio shop. They will be able to give you some ideas.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If your factory player has an AUX input (line level), you can use any MP3 player that has a line level output. Check the back of your factory unit for this input.

It is best to f> I would like to be able to play MP3 in My Grand Cherokee. I currently

Reply to
twaldron

There are changers that will connect to the stock stereo. There are also cables that will turn the CD changer input to aux inputs so you could plug in an iPod or something like that. Check out Crutchfield.

You have many options. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
Mort

I don't see the words "off-roading" or "gearhead" anywhere in the newsgroup title. I see "Jeep". That is pretty open.

Reply to
MC

From our Charter: Some things that could be discussed....

-Jeep/Willys history -repairs and modifications -parts exchange -technical information -4x4 driving experiences -vehicle restoration -new vehicle evaluations

Some th>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I sent an email to Crutchfield about the same thing earlier this week. I think you can hook this up to the stock head unit, but you can check further.

http://64.4.34.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=eff4a4dbab1dfdcf1db01b6636fd5c00&lat=1078232630&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecrutchfield%2ecom%2fcgi%2dbin%2fProdView%2easp%3fi%3d113KHDCX91 Good luck, hope it helps, Andrew Whitley

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
twaldron

I have something named an irock! Wireless Music Adapter. You just plug it in to anything that has an eighth inch stereo audio out (MP3 player, CD player, notebook, PC) and you can receive the signal via your FM radio. Pretty cool device. Check out this review:

My daughter uses it to hear her MP3 tunes while riding in her mom and dad's Jeep (justifying the newsgroup post :>).

Reply to
JeePenn

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Funny, her butt doesn't look that heavy.

Brian's Military Jeeps of WWII

Squadron Patches of WWII

Reply to
Brian French

Reply to
twaldron

No, we're gearheads. Some of us are audiophiles, but all of us are gearheads. We get around the rounded corners that you are concerned about with a few hours of fabrication.

Reply to
CRWLR

Which is pretty much what I said ... :-)

Reply to
CRWLR

CRWLR did pass the time by typing:

Or ten seconds with a BFH.

Reply to
DougW

Calibrated or not?

Reply to
CRWLR

Assuming that you don't have the Infinity System in your WJ, I would recommend that you simply replace the head unit with one that will play MP3's or use an FM Modulator and an MP3 player like the iPod, Nomad Jukebox or other portable unit.

In all reality, I would go with the iPod idea. You'll probably be able to hold more MP3's and can take it in and out with you or move it to another vehicle. The stock stereo is also less likely to be stolen.

Reply to
Chad Fraker