Advice needed

I have an 85 CJ7 that has decided not to start for me after sitting for a while. Unfortunately, it is hard to debug this issue since once it does start, I can't test it aain for hours. Any ideas how to attack this? It could take days to find the issue (or I could find it the first time which, with my luck, would never happen).

Reply to
Jo

My first guess is you have your gas filter in upside down.

Mike

Jo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Carb drain back (filter or leaking carb) or choke not setting correctly. check your oil to see if it is RISING. Take the air filter off when it's cold, depress the accelerator ONCE, see if the choke closed off. Move the filter so the smaller return line is UP.

cheers.

Jo wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

If it is ok, then I would next suspect a pinhole leak on the suction side of the fuel pump. The line to the tank can get a pin hole small enough not to drip out on the ground at first, but let it sit and air can get in air locking the gas line.

You need to look for small stains on the gas line, usually near the end clip on the frame.

Mike

Jo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Squirt some fresh fuel into the carb float bowl until it's full, then try & start it. If it runs, then quits, the fuel supply system is faulty.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Just a 1/8 cup down the carb throat will tell the same. Easier too.

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain