Advice sought on T-Case crawl ratio choices

After a recent stall 'n' lurch extravaganza up the Doran Loop obstacles in Calico, CA , and a couple of key words uttered by fellow Jeeper ("Are you set up with the 4 to 1?"), I have done some research and confirmed that just sizing up the gears in the diffs is not enough to really crawl in control, when equipped with a stock NP 231 T- case in my 94 YJ. (Yes, I checked out all the online gear ratio calculators.)

So my options as researched so far are:

Get a TeraLow 4.0:1 kit. Pros: Doesn't mess with 2wd or 4WD Hi or street driving. A reasonable $1200 outlay. Bolt-in install in the exact same space as the NP231 case, so no driveshaft mods needed. Compatible with TeraLow's 2WD Low option (which might help crawling and turning at the same time).

Cons: Uses the drive chain, not helical cut gears like an Atlas or Dana 300 Tcase. (But can opt for a JB conversions wide chain replacement). I also have been into my t-case twice already and don't find it a real enjoyable process.

Dana 300 T-Case. Pros: Small size, all gear internal, great crawl ratio. Cast iron heavy duty housing. Mid-Range price on parts.

Cons: More labor inten$ive to clock, adjust, fit. Would require driveshaft lenghtening or shortening.

Atlas II. Pros: All geared, great reputation. New and shiny.

Cons: Pricey at $2,500 for parts, and still another laborious install and fitment.

What to do? Any other options or opinions?

Cal Wheeler

'94 YJ EFI IL 6 Dynatrac ProRock 60 Rear w/ ARB Dynatrac 44 Front w/ ARB

5.13 gears 37 Super Swampers

See my rig in action at Calico:

?C63C127F6 (Ofoto site that requires a login to view, but that login can be bogus)

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

With what you have already in your rig what's another $2,500? You didn't skimp on the axles... don't skimp here.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

TWO TeraLow Case upgrades...(one as a spare!)...125 Table dances...a good portion of a kitchen remodel...$6,000 by the time I'm through paying the interest charges on my credit card...;-)

The money flows out when I've got a nice inflow. Right now, the pipes are a little constricted.

Sonmetime I wish I'd picked a less expensive hobby. Hello. My name's Cal and I am a Jeepaholic.

Reply to
Cal Wheeler