t-case fluid

I have a '99 dodge 1500 4x4 with a 360 with a auto tranny and was wondering what fluid I put in the T-case? it started making a whinning sound and that is the only place I can think its coming from also the same time the noise started the 4 wheel drive light came on. any and all help would be greatful

Reply to
jumpshooter

As for the transfer case fluid, it takes ATF. Technically, Dodge wants ATF+3/Mopar 7176 fluid in there, but you can also use Dexron-III (as Chevy used this same case, and it came factory-filled with Dex-III). Note that this is NOT the case with your transmission - use only ATF+3 in there.

There's two plugs on the back side of the T-case (both take a 3/8" allen wrench). The top plug is the fill plug. Remove this, and stick a pipe cleaner or something similar to check the level of the fluid. It should be right at the bottom of the hole. If not, add fluid until it dribbles out the fill hole (and if it's really low - figure out how it leaked out).

The 4WD light comes on when the front axle disconnect engages. This normally should only happen when you pull the shift lever to 4WD, as a vacuum switch on top of the transfer case switches vacuum and vent on the two lines running to the vacuum motor on the axle disconnect.

If the light is on with the transfer case shifter lever in 2WD, you either have a faulty vacuum switch, or something wrong/damaged with the axle disconnect on the front axle (it's also possible that it's just a short in the wiring going to the CAD - but doubtful since it's accompanied by some mechanical noise).

If you're not comfortable checking this out/fixing it yourself, get it checked out, and soon.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I forgot to mention that the noise doesnt start until I am at about 15 mph could this still maybe a problem or is it more likely the axle disconnect is broke/damaged?

Reply to
jumpshooter

what fluid I put in the T-case? it started making a whinning sound and that is the only place I can think its coming from also the same time the noise started the 4 wheel drive light came on.

Any help???

you sure??

okay.... create a profile in one of the 2 forums you've posted the thread in, then.....maybe someone other than tommy will offer up some advice.

unless..... u-r tommy.

then, never mind.

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.....stirs his mushroom tea~

Reply to
Marsh Monster