Adviee on tires and rims for my YJ

OK

Think I got it decided=

1/Rims American Racing Outlaw II 62 series 15 x 8 with 3-3/4 backspacing. Looking for input on the rim backspacing as I can get that backspacing for a good price. 4" is another story. I 4" BS is what I need I will have to buy cheapo steel wheels

2/Tires

32x11.5x15 either from TireRack Dunlop Radial Mud Rover 96 bucks Kumho Venture MT 105 bucks My gut tells me to go with the Kuhmo Venture's I dont really need a mud tire but may in the future and I like the agressive look.

3/Rig has 2.5 RE Extreme Duty lift installed

-with a 1" body lift and TJ flares to come-I already have the BL just need a warm dry day to install. Rig is my DD (5 miles a day) and will be street driven until the above are complete.

Thanks in advance for any help-You guys on this forum are amazing! I just spent my whole week researching this on line. 20 years ago woulda went to the local tire guy and bought what he recommended!

Reply to
ufatbastehd

How many times are you gonna post this question?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well I think its the first time I asked this question. Asked about backspacing and used tire purchase. If I asked more than once all I can attribute it too is my first senior moment. Just turned the big 5 0

Moot anyway had a complete change of heart and went with 31x10.5 BFG AT KOs and kept my stock rims.

Reply to
ufatbastehd

You actually posted the same question several times.

Those senior moments will begin to blur one into the next. Before you know it, your whole life will be a senior moment.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You'll be happy with that set up for a long time. Do not hesitate to air those tires down to about 8 or 10 pounds if you go offroading. The added traction will be astounding.

I run the 32x11.50 Mud Terrains, and I was in the sand a few weeks ago and was stuck in the creek bed. I was in the process of airing down to see if I could get unstuck - I could go places but I could not climb the bank of the creek to get out - and I heard some heavy equipment driving by. I got the driver to stop and hang around while I aired the last tire down, then put my Jeep in position to have him pull it out. I decided to give ome more try at getting out by myself, and made it easily. I had been working on the path out for about a half hour, knocking down the vertical bank to one that was more like 45 degrees. But, my tires kept sinking in and I couldn't go any further. When I aired down, I set the tire pressure to about 5 pounds, and the traction was so much better that my Jeep climbed right out on the first try.

My point is, your 31x10.50s can be aired down to around 8 or 10 psi if you are in a pinch, and the increase in traction will amaze you. Of course, now you will have flat tires that will be very dangerous on the street, but you can mitigate that problem by simply going slow and not swerving.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

my two-cents thats not worth much, i got myself a small tire compressor at schucks, 40.00 heavy duty unit made of metal, not plastic, went to the beach last week and played around, 30pds sunk like a brick,

10pds, and we were crusing, 30inch 9.50 when i was done took ten munutes to air back up on pavement, 4 of that was stuffing it back into the bag it comes with, im thinking of mounting it under the hood and running air lines 1 to each center,side with a connector, i definatly likeplaying in sand better than snow, cept no trees to hook up to if ya get stuck,,, what does one do??? if ones stick and the tides turning,,,,,besides cry,,,,grin,,,
Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Just run one line to the front by the grill, and get a hose to reach to all of the corners. You want as few connections and splices in the air lines as you can get. You also want any lines you run to be protected from shit going by, like rocks and stumps. If there is a breach in the system anywhere, then you are hosed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland