Aftermarket sheet metal question

Hey group, I need to replace the front fenders, windshield frame, floorboard....etc on my 86 CJ7. I am wondering about the quality of aftermarket parts from distributors like "4 Wheel Drive" et. al.. I recently restored my wife's 76 Super Beetle Convertible and the steel (?) replacement parts I had ordered were much thinner gauge steel than the originals and most were a piss-poor fit. Is this something I am going to have to deal with on my Jeep as well? Would I be better off watching for usable steel on e-bay? Is there a better swap shop online somewhere? I would appreciate any input from you folks that have already been down this road. Thanks, Charles E. charleserv 'at' charter.net

Reply to
Ervin Charles

RoyJ

Ervin Charles ( snipped-for-privacy@charter.net) wrote on Saturday 14 August 2004

11:02 pm:

Charles,

Some of the parts are worse, some better. I had to replace my tailgate, and the replacement was definitely lower quality. On the other hand, I replaced one of my front fenders with a kevlar fender, and it seems to be of very good quality. If you can find a kevlar windshield frame, I'd go with that, too. As for floorboards, you're going to have to cut the old out and put in your own material anyway, so that'll be up to you to find some decent replacement material (aircraft aluminum should work great).

Reply to
Michael White

'Glass or Kevlar for a windshield frame only works if you have a hard top on all the time or no top. They do not work with soft tops. They flex and the glass can fall out.

I got an aftermarket windshield frame and it is crap. Don't know the maker. Too thin and the holes for the wipers aren't correct so the linkage jams if you blink at it sideways. I had to cut the hole for the drivers wiper out and use the one from my old frame.

Mike

Mike Romain

The aftermarket CJ fenders and windshield frame that I bought from Wyllys Overland two years ago were thinner than the OEM parts. There must be more than one stamping plant in operation.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
RoyJ