E-brake bolt rusted through sheet metal

Hi,

The handle on my e-brake became loose. I opened the console and it looks like the bolt in front of handle that holds it to the floor came right through the sheet metal. Is there a way to get to the underside of the floor so I can put in a large washer or something to hold down the bolt? Any other options?

Thanks Ron

2000 GT 'vert
Reply to
unix

I've had to do exactly that. My e-brake was feeling a little soft, the problem was just a you said , the floor sheet metal deteriorating at the attachment point. Grab a sturdy SS washer and bolt for this, it's awkward and easier with 2 people, but you can just reach around the drive shaft to position the washer and bolt. The second person would be nice, to get the nut started, topside.

Reply to
John C.

Thanks! I got the new bolt in but can't put back the console. (I barely got it off by bending it around the e-brake handle, but now can't even get close to getting the handle back in the console slot. Is there a trick of making the handle face upward by disconnecting the cable from the brakes?).

Reply to
unix